News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Book?

Started by buckle, January 23, 2012, 06:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckle

Is there a good beginner book on understanding circuits better. I want to be able to understand and not just follow directions.
"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are." - Kurt Cobain

raulduke

Practical Electronics for Inventors by Paul Scherz.

Seriously; this book is all you really need!

Jeff B.

Check your local library for books by Delton T. Horn.  He's written countless books.
His books explain lots of things in simple detail and come with schematics and projects, a lot of which (depending on the book) can be applied to stompbox building.

buckle

Awesome. The only problem is that now I am spending time thinking about building when I should be playing.
"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are." - Kurt Cobain

TNblueshawk

Ok, I've read about 4 "beginners" books. The best one by far is "Electronics for Dummies". I say that from the perspective of someone who literally didn't know what a resistor was. Put it in terms I could understand. I just cracked open the Art of Electronics. Errrr....that one will be a challenge but what the hell.

If anyone is interested, there is sort of a book club that we are going to try to get going on that book. It may fall flat on it's face but below are a couple links explaining it. It will be based out of the circuitworkshop. It may end up only being a few of us doing it, but it could turn into something cool, who knows

http://circuitworkshop.com/forum/index.php?board=40.0

Fyi: BYOC forum is down, was down yesterday mostly too. Hopefully just a few corrupt files.
John

cjkbug

brian wamplers books are great for beginners. and pedal specific. thats how I learned to read schematics. www.indyguitarist.com
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

sockeye

The first Forrest Mims book is very good, even though he's a bit of a wingnut.