News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cabling these puppies

Started by Smeero, January 26, 2012, 02:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smeero

So as I build more...and more...and more pedals, I gotta keep buying little cables to connect em up (at this point to have essentially two different pedalboards).

Being that I don't think I can stop building pedals, i was thinking that it might be fun to make my own cables. Looking at supplies though it doesn't seem like I will save much money. 1/4" jacks are expensive.

Anyone make their own cables? Do you know where to find a deal on bulk instrument cable and jacks to make your own?

jkokura

If you don't mind cheap cables, you won't save money building your own. You can get the super cheap ones for a few bucks each and no building required. If you want something a little higher in quality, you will save some money buying and building.

I use GLS pancake jacks primarily. The G&H ends look pretty good as well. Getting GLS jacks from Orange County Speaker I can get them for less thank $1 each. So that's 1.80 to start.

I also use Lava Mini ELC cable. It's not cheap but it's small, durable, and has low capacitance. I think you can get it for 1.90 a foot on eBay. So a 6" cable would be $0.95.

That's about 3 bucks, but you have to add in your time and effort to build you cable right?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

cjkbug

redco for mogami cable and orange county speaker for pancake connectors. the cable is super cheap in bulk  and ocs has the best prices on connectors. I get the jacks for pedals their as well
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

ckim715

I just realized all of us recommended the exact same thing, hah
-Charlie

jtn191

If you don't want to make your own, guitar fetish sells patch cables for 3.95. Has the good kind of connector so you can fix them if needed--I have em and haven't had a problem  ;)

bigmufffuzzwizz

I've been building my own cables for awhile now using redco.com. Actually that was my entry into soldering and building. Redco has the best prices on mogami cable but when ordering the jacks from them as well the shipping jumps pretty high. I didn't feel like it was such a deal after $15 shipping on a 50 dollar order. I recommend ordering cable in bulk since its so cheap, and get your jacks as you need them. The flat ones are available from Tayda for about 40 cents a pop. Can't beat handbuilt $1.50 mogami patch cables!!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

mattc

Another recommendation for Redco.

lloyd17

Wow we do all buy our bulk cable the same way. Oc speaker for angle jacks and ebay for lava mini. For long leads I also use redco but i really like the gepco xband stuff for the way it lays and coils.

slimtriggers

Another +1 for Redco 

I think there is a thread on BYOC about building your own cables.  That's where I got turned on to Redco 8)