News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Plating etched PCBs

Started by pickdropper, January 22, 2012, 10:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Do you folks tin plate your etched PCBs or do you just leave them as bare copper?

I tried tinning an etched board with solder paste and a small solder reflow oven.  It didn't work very well.  :-)  It was a total mess.  I don't think I am going to bother doing that on any board that isn't solder masked.  A proper stencil helps a lot as well.

I tinned another board by hand.  That worked, but tool a lot of time and a bit of solder braid.

I ordered some liquid tin from mouser and will give that a go.  I hear it is nasty stuff, but we'll see.

So what does everybody here do? 

Btw, let me put in a note on the quality of Haberdasher's etched PCBs.  I beat the living hell out of that first board and it is still usable (and finally reasonably cleaned up).  His boards are really well made.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

madbean

pickdropper

Quote from: madbean on January 22, 2012, 10:28:26 PM
Liquid Tin FTW.

Good.  I am looking for an easier solution.

After you plate a bunch of boards, do you have to dispose of it, or can you put it back in the container and use it again?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Ettore_M

If I understood what you are talking about, you want a way to cover your etched pcbs not to get oxidized. If this is the thing you want, check out the Pictures thread at DIYSB for Guero builds and azrael's questions!  ;D (http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=36392.18380) Guero, uses a very interesting way, a transluscent spray paint!  ;)

Hope it helps!!
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam