News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The fuzz tone I've been looking for - Triclops Fuzz

Started by lars, December 28, 2014, 04:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwin615

Lars
Circling back around to this, any chance you'd share your final circuit on this?
I've got an itch that this would definitely scratch!

jessenator

I'd be interested in seeing a schematic, too. My attempts to form an alloy of the two circuits haven't yielded much success.
[NOBODY CARED ABOUT THAT]

Jobu

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, so seeing some recent activity I also toss in my hat. I would love to see a final schematic! I have also never gotten the "Microsynth" side of the circuit to sound quite right from schematics I've pieced together.

That being said, I did get my hands on some DM-90s and they do make a nice difference. But I've delayed making the MSA + ESR (DM-90) version final on stripboard because I want to compare with the MSA + Microsynth version (if I could get it figured out).

Much appreciation for all the work and creativity that has been done here   :D

blearyeyes

Interesting thread.
I would also love to see Triclops live again.

This thread got me to pull out a Parasit Studios Eagle claw octave fuzz build...  Has a CD4069UBE and some diode stuff going on.

jessenator

Necro bumping again, but I went a bit HAM on this circuit since January (or as HAM as one can in and out of hospital), and have something that might be similar to the original circuit.

I adapted a schematic/trace(?) by EBRAddict (it's in one of the two threads about this circuit) to use the LM13700M (SOIC-16)—well the CoolAudio clone, anyway (because there needed to be one?). Stompbox Parts has the clones for like $0.60 as of writing, btw. I breadboarded it using the CA3080s I have as well as a broken-out 13700M. After verification and one or two value tweaks a working fabbed prototype PCB was the result. I found the SOIC-16 has roughly the same footprint as an 8-DIP which allowed me to keep the PCB dimensions under the 50x50mm threshold for cheap multi-layer fabrication. I also discovered that this is one of the use cases where the EffectsLayouts 13700-3080 / 16->8 pin adapter doesn't work. Not a big deal, but at least I know.

Like the schematic was I working from, it implements a charge pump for a -9V rail. Bonus is that makes the termination of the unused amp in the 13700 much easier. It's quite noisy and had me worried that I had borked something (again...) with this prototype. Until I boxed it. I wired it to use a 7660H (i.e. no pin 1-8 turbo required) with >100kHz switching freq.

Sounds fantastic when gussied up in an aluminum RF shield.

The board (silkscreen more than anything) is imperfect, but verified working. Uses the PPCB 4-pot spacing for 1590N1 enclosure (125B) but it could fit into a 1590B, optimally with side jacks despite this template showing top. Just a very tight fit over the top of the pots.

edit: I'd be remiss if I didn't mention jwin615's cheerleading behind the scenes to make this work

jwin615

Quote from: jessenator on August 21, 2024, 10:02:37 PMNecro bumping again,

Happy to this this come to life!
Have you stacked it with other drive with any success or is it already way to much with the 2 gain stages?

jessenator

Quote from: jwin615 on August 23, 2024, 12:00:10 AMHappy to this this come to life!
Have you stacked it with other drive with any success or is it already way to much with the 2 gain stages?
Thanks. Yeah, there's quite a lot of chutzpah even at 9 o'clock, so I didn't even bother testing that ;D I'm actually quite afraid of what would happen if I dimed it