News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Odd pickup combos that work

Started by lars, July 05, 2024, 09:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

We all know the classic pickup types/configurations that are tried and true recipes for great tone. But I'm more interested in what pickup configurations you've found that work great, even though they're a bit out in left field. I've recently come across this one for my Strat:
- Dimarzio Air Norton S wired with parallel coils in the bridge.
- Fender "player" series Telecaster neck pickup in the neck with the cover removed.
The real surprise was how great the player-series Telecaster neck pickup sounds with the cover off. It's thick and punchy (around 9K on a meter). Wiring the Air Norton S in parallel coil mode gives it a more Strat-like single coil sound, and the two together just sound fantastic. Full-range with punchy bass and brilliant Strat jangle on the top end. I'm definitely gonna stick with this combo for a while.

jimilee

I have a 5 way switch on a Tele pos 1,2 and three are traditional. 4 is one of the pickups out of phase and 5 is with an additional resistor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

I've long though the best thing I ever did for tele was take the neck up cover off.  Totally changes the pickup.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Willybomb

The stock neck and middle single coils in the Player strats are really, really good.  Like, good to the point where I wasn't going to replace them even though I had Lace Sensors ready to go in.

My not so wacky pickup combination was a Dimarzio Megadrive (bridge) and a Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell (neck).  It was all wired to a superswitch so the selections were Megadrive (series), Megadrive coil, Megadrive blade, Blade + HFH, HFM (series).

Micpoc

Quote from: gordo on July 06, 2024, 02:48:30 AMI've long though the best thing I ever did for tele was take the neck up cover off.  Totally changes the pickup.
Yep. It's a great example of why the notion that "Leo got it right the first time" does not really hold water, IMO.

jimilee

Quote from: Micpoc on July 07, 2024, 03:50:05 PM
Quote from: gordo on July 06, 2024, 02:48:30 AMI've long though the best thing I ever did for tele was take the neck up cover off.  Totally changes the pickup.
Yep. It's a great example of why the notion that "Leo got it right the first time" does not really hold water, IMO.
Man, I need to give that a try, too.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

lars

Quote from: Micpoc on July 07, 2024, 03:50:05 PMYep. It's a great example of why the notion that "Leo got it right the first time" does not really hold water, IMO.
The funny thing is, the main reason the metal cover is on a Tele neck pickup is to supposedly reduce noise. I found it's actually more quiet with the cover off! LOL. So it really serves no purpose whatsoever. And that guy Dumble...he seemed to do very well changing Fender designs a bit, even though they were "right" the first time.

jimilee

Quote from: lars on July 12, 2024, 09:09:25 PM
Quote from: Micpoc on July 07, 2024, 03:50:05 PMYep. It's a great example of why the notion that "Leo got it right the first time" does not really hold water, IMO.
The funny thing is, the main reason the metal cover is on a Tele neck pickup is to supposedly reduce noise. I found it's actually more quiet with the cover off! LOL. So it really serves no purpose whatsoever. And that guy Dumble...he seemed to do very well changing Fender designs a bit, even though they were "right" the first time.
Hell, Jim Marshall tweaked the 5f6 circuit that Leo did right in the first place,and did quite well for himself there, too. G&L guitars were what Fender was supposed to be. Leo got that right the second time.