News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Multiturn Trimmers?

Started by Micpoc, June 12, 2024, 01:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micpoc

I have a couple of perf layouts I want to try that use trimmers that have the straight, 3-in-line pins like the one pictured below.

The standard 3362Ps that most MB projects use make total sense to me, but these are a mystery. What I don't grok is the "multiturn" aspect. How and why are trimmers like these "multiturn"? If you keep turning them the knob, does the resistance reset or something? Just does not make intuitive sense to me, having not used one before (that I can recall). I know I could just bend the pins on the standard ones to fit, but I sort of want to understand these things too.

madbean

Each complete turn is about 1/25th of the total resistance value of the trimpot. Som there's no resetting. They are just more convenient when you need super fine adjustments, like with calibration and biasing certain circuits.

Micpoc

Quote from: madbean on June 12, 2024, 03:30:00 PMEach complete turn is about 1/25th of the total resistance value of the trimpot. Som there's no resetting. They are just more convenient when you need super fine adjustments, like with calibration and biasing certain circuits.
Ah, gotcha; Thanks Brian. So, probably overkill in other circuits.