News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingmaker - Flange Clock Mechanics

Started by Bio77, November 26, 2023, 10:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

I spent a lot of time messing around with the Kingmaker, recently.  The info I found online said that the clock should sweep from 1.8 ms- 20 ms, so, 284 kHz - 25.6 kHz.  Initially, I set the clock trim so that without the LFO the two extremes of the Manual knob were close to these values.  But when I added in the LFO, the clock was only sweeping across the range when the Manual knob was at one extreme.  It also sounded like trash, so, I just went with Bean's recommended settings.

This made me think that I am wrong about my basic understanding of how the clock is working.  I thought that the manual knob set the base voltage into the control pin of the 3201, and the LFO voltage would add or subtract from that.  So that the manual voltage would set the center frequency that is swept up and down by the LFO.  Is this correct?  If not how should should I set the frequency of the clock to achieve a sweep between 1.8 and 20 ms? I have a frequency counter and scope.

madbean

IIRC, I also tried following the notes I found on the clock range but came to a similar result and just went with a "winging it" calibration . The frustration for me came from the added T1 trimmer which is not typical for most of the flangers I've worked on. I think the easiest way to look at it is the Depth is panning between the LFO and fixed manual voltage as per usual, T2 is an overall limit on BOTH of those controls but T1 can be either an additive or subtractive element to both depending on where it's set. Maybe that's a bad take but it's what I could grok from it.

This is one of those areas where I start to get frustrated with my own circuit analysis. Most of the time I can work my way through anything pedal related but this one is a little confounding for whatever reason.

LaceSensor

I have a pearl flanger that I decided to rehouse early in my FX building days - seemed easier than repairing it, back then.
Revisiting it on reading here, my original PCB has the MN3101/MN3007 chips and I didnt change them.

skeeter

I have tried to get this nice and lush sounding ,like the MXR  and the E. Mistress  but cant get no matter how I adjust the trimmers  nothing, bias could have been a fixed resistor 50%, but he othe trimmers well it seems there needs to be another trimmer ?.overall it is bright like a modified small clone from Jeds Pedals .