News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Yellow Shark for dummies

Started by Tanaka, December 22, 2011, 02:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanaka

Hi there,

I think i'm the biggest fan of this place, but I'm also the biggest dummy in the world about electronic stuff ( and also a dummy of the english language , so sorry for my mistakes ) .

I'm trying to do a Yellow Shark and I have so many problem regarding the capacitors .

I use tu buy my stuff from http://www.musikding.de but i cannot understand what to buy for this pedal.

For istance : C2 is a 100pF; and if I made a research in musikding site i found 5 different type.
http://www.musikding.de/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=100pf&x=0&y=0

Which on is the correct one ?

and the others ???

I saw in the diagram that ther capacitor is rapresented by a rectangle or a ellipse or a circle ... i think to understand that the rectangole is this type (http://www.musikding.de/index.php/cat/c89_Arcotronics-MKT.html) , the circle rapresent the electrolytic type ( http://www.musikding.de/index.php/cat/c128_Standard-electrolytic-caps.html )..

is that correct ???

and the ellipse ? ( c2 in the yellow shark ) which one of =http://www.musikding.de/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=100pf&x=0&y=0these ?

Please help a dummy to create his pedal !! and again, forgive me for my english ...  :'(

Thanks a lot !!! ;D

T.

cjkbug

squares are generally film types,(poleyester,mylar,etc. they can be dipped like panasonics or box type like wimas)choose witchever ones you like

circles are electrolyitic or tantalums, and they have a pos and neg lead

ellipses arte usually ceramics or silver micas, and are usually in the pico farad range
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

crashguitar

The general rule that I picked up here is if it is in pF (picofarads) use ceramic disc caps, if it is nF (nanofarads) use film caps, and if it is in uF (microfarads) use electrolytic caps.

Just watch that the capacitance is the right value, and that the voltage rating is at or higher than the voltage of the circuit. So, for a pedal running on 9V, I usually get caps rated 16 volts or higher.

Tanaka

Thank you guys !!!

I will try to follow your advices !!!

In the place where i usually buy , i can't find a capacitor ( 31k6 ) ... anyone of you from europe ( or even better italy  ) can advice another online store ??? ( usa are quite far from "here"; i have friends though .. :) )

Thanks

T.

Tanaka

Thanks jtn191 !! Yes, I mean capacitor .... sorry ..

Really thanks, but they are not american places still ?

Ok, i will try ebay in my country ... thanks a lot !!!

Tanaka

Hi there, i'm back with my stupid answer ... i'm really a newbie ...

- regarding the C6 and the C11 ( 1uF caps ), if I have the electrolytic capacitor where do i have to put the + ???

Another rookie question :

- regarding the led, where do i have to put the + ?? square marking ( the tip of the led in the design project )  or circle ?

thanks a lot !

T.

ckim715

On the circuit board, the + side of the component (capacitor, diode, led, whatever) goes to the square solder pad. the negative goes to the round solder pad.
-Charlie

DutchMF

Hey Tanaka,

Props for asking all those questions! I'm barely a little less new than you are, but these guys are really helpful and you (and I!) will learn a lot from them. Keep it up, eventually we'll make it!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Tanaka

Thanks ckim715 !!  :-*  ;D

Thanks to Paul , too !!   ;)

So, it remains just the first question :

- regarding the C6 and the C11 ( 1uF caps ), if I have the electrolytic capacitor where do i have to put the positive ????

thanks

T.

ckim715

looking at the schematic, C6 and C11 are both non electrolytic capacitors. Use a film capacitor for those positions.
-Charlie

jkokura

You can use electrolytics in those positions. Depending on the board you're using it might be different.

Using the schematic, you can see that C6 connects to R6 on one end, and C7/R8/D3/D4 on the other end and the positive end connects to R6. For C11 the positive would connect to R12/Q1, and the negative would connect to R12/C12.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

ckim715

^^^listen to him, and not me. I am but a peon at this :) Sorry for the bad information!
-Charlie

Tanaka

Quote from: jkokura on January 10, 2012, 05:33:51 PM
You can use electrolytics in those positions. Depending on the board you're using it might be different.

Using the schematic, you can see that C6 connects to R6 on one end, and C7/R8/D3/D4 on the other end and the positive end connects to R6. For C11 the positive would connect to R12/Q1, and the negative would connect to R12/C12.

Jacob

Thank you so much !! You are really helpful !!!!

Quote from: ckim715 on January 10, 2012, 05:38:16 PM
^^^listen to him, and not me. I am but a peon at this :) Sorry for the bad information!

Hey , no problem ckim !! you have nothing to apologize ..

thank you guys, you're the best !!

T.