News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Harbinger 1.5- Gordo was right?

Started by Thewintersoldier, April 20, 2023, 02:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

Nah, Magneto was right. I will admit that I am not the biggest vibe user, it's not that I just don't like the effects but I think I'm more just a phaser guy. I haven't built a vibe pedal in at least three years, so I wanted to give it a go again and see if my opinion has changed.

I chose the harbinger over the electrovibe/EV Mini because I don't need dual speeds, and don't want to find low profile caps. The added input buffer also fixes the volume drop so that was an added bonus. I used 9203 ldrs from my presale smallbear stash and made the light shield out of a rubber cap and used adhesive aluminum foil to get the light shield reflections like a vintage unit. Everything else is standard tayda and stompboxparts components.

How's it sound? Better than I remember my last vibe sounding. I think I am coming around more to the vibe's Asymmetrical phasing, although I will probably always prefer a straight phaser🤷. I'm still messing with the offset trimmer to get it where I think it sounds best to me. Overall I think it's a keeper and I just need to figure out how I wanna use it because I think my former distaste for the effect is tied to my dislike of most classic examples.

The build itself was fantastic and came together really easy. I used a 1590BB2 yellow tayda enclosure with UV print. My design included the OG cyclops, which was better than the 90s whinny version of Scott. I really like the bold minimalist contrast of the black and yellow. There are so many great choices for a Univibe that you can't really go wrong with any of them so pick one and build at least one.

Who the hell is Bucky?

jessenator

Sick!

What diameter knobs are those? 16? 20?

jimilee

You are insane with these things. Simply amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

gordo

Damn that looks fine!  I like the enclosure color and clean graphics.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jessenator on April 20, 2023, 03:38:06 PM
Sick!

What diameter knobs are those? 16? 20?
I believe they are 20. I got them from smallbear a few years ago and never used them and this was perfect for them.

Quote from: jimilee on April 20, 2023, 04:04:08 PM
You are insane with these things. Simply amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Jimi, I'm the world's okayest pedal builder 😂

Quote from: Bio77 on April 20, 2023, 05:44:56 PM
Super clean, Chris!  8)
I learned from the best John!

Quote from: gordo on April 20, 2023, 11:44:17 PM
Damn that looks fine!  I like the enclosure color and clean graphics.
Thanks Gordy, it's easy to do when Brian makes such wonderful layouts.
Who the hell is Bucky?

blackhatboojum

Damn man!  Super clean and tidy.  Out of this build and the Glasshole, which one do you prefer the sound of more?
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.