News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JD-9 single sided Oscillating issues

Started by jimilee, July 04, 2023, 07:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

I made a layout for the Ibanez Jet Driver. It works, but I'm getting some oscillation in either the Drive or EQ section. I can't quite work it out. My voltages all look like they're supposed to. Any help is much appreciated.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

Just a bump to see if anyone can see something in the layout that would cause the oscillation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mauman

I'm thinking you may have a too-long trace (adding too much inductance) connected to your lower op amp (EQ) pin 6 (inverting input.)  It runs all the way to the top of the board to pick up Mids pot 1 and Tone pot 1.  Feedback loops might need to be shorter than that, stray inductance or capacitance there can cause oscillation.

jimilee

Quote from: mauman on July 06, 2023, 12:19:22 AM
I'm thinking you may have a too-long trace (adding too much inductance) connected to your lower op amp (EQ) pin 6 (inverting input.)  It runs all the way to the top of the board to pick up Mids pot 1 and Tone pot 1.  Feedback loops might need to be shorter than that, stray inductance or capacitance there can cause oscillation.
That makes perfect sense; I'm still learning. I modified the original schematic, and now I think I know what it was the way it was. Thank you sir.

NorthCoast

Did you include C101?

The 47uf cap is C100, which is 100uf on the schematic, but I don't see a 47uf C101.

Also, it looks like there might be two traces that are touching that shouldn't; I've circled them in yellow:

"People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand..." - Claude Monet

jimilee

Quote from: NorthCoast on July 06, 2023, 04:20:42 AM
Did you include C101?

The 47uf cap is C100, which is 100uf on the schematic, but I don't see a 47uf C101.

Also, it looks like there might be two traces that are touching that shouldn't; I've circled them in yellow:

I checked with my meter, the traces aren't touching, so we're good there. The 100uf is actually attached to my +9 and ground leads on my testing rig. That did kill a lot of the noise. I'm going to rework it with shorter traces in the top section, I think that might do it. I reworked the original schematic because it seemed to be all over the place, but it seems they may have been a reason for that madness.