News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD! Jericho

Started by jwin615, February 24, 2023, 03:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwin615

My latest "I shouldn't check reverb this often" acquisition.
A 2017 Jericho edge baritone(27) pictured next to his inch taller Chapman brother.
It ain't a pretty guitar. Lots of rash and some dings on he a** but I payed squire money for a Duncan loaded neck through bari so she'll work.
Neck and fre board are knick free aside from one tiny ding under the 7th.
Sd sentient nech and a sd-4 with glory box on the bridge. Wasn't crazy about either in the walnut body at first listen.
Cleaned her up, oiled the fretboard several times over(was thirsty), and added some foam the the neck pickup. New set of stringjoy bari mediums on her.
Anyone else here hate direct mount pickups? Damn world music guitars.
I'll eventually fiddle with pickups swaps but wanted to get it to operational first.

jwin615

I'm in the basement with a work floodlight.
Sorry for the photographically inclined. I'm doing a slow Reno so don't even have overheads here right now...

jessenator

Damn that's nice. I'm especially a sucker for block inlays. Can't wait to hear it!

jjjimi84

Looks great! Are you familiar with baritones? I am getting into that world and kind of overwhelmed by the range of string gauges, any suggestions?

jwin615

Quote from: jjjimi84 on February 24, 2023, 07:32:32 AM
Looks great! Are you familiar with baritones? I am getting into that world and kind of overwhelmed by the range of string gauges, any suggestions?
I got my first bari last August (the Chapman). I wasn't aware of Rob's dealing until after I ordered it but that's aside from the point.
It's a 28 in. I currently have a 7 string set of NYXLs 11-64 with the 11 dropped on it tuned to drop A. The tension seems uneven on those to me. Going to AEADEA(Drop DADGAD) makes it even worse.
Ive played in drop c for a long time on standard scale so I'm kinda used to thicker strings.
I ordered from Stringjoy for the first time Wednesday afternoon (and had them on Thursday!).
I put their medium baritone set on the 27" Jericho and tuned to AEADEA and the tensions seem more balanced. I also built 2 sets that are up or down a gauge on each string to experiment as needed.
I can't speak for how well they will hold up long term as they don't advertise as using an NASA nano-technology coating or anything but they do feel nice.
They have a tension calculator on their site too and custom sets are the same price as off the shelf sets. Best I can advise is input what you currently have loaded on your guitar and evaluate what you want changed.
On the Jericho, a 64 feels good but it's too light on the 28. Definitely going to a 68 there.

jjjimi84

Thanks man! I bought what they had at my local store which was a low 60, which should be fine hopefully. I really appreciate the insight

jimilee

I would love to have a bari in the stable. I have a 7 string Ibanez universe, I'm no quite sure how they compare, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

That looks great.  I don't mind guitars that are less than pristine.  As long as it sings and plays great I can easily overlook dings and scratches.  I sort of look at them as tools and I'd be suspicious of a shiny perfect hammer.

I like direct mount too.  They can be a pain in the a$$ to adjust but once it's there it's done and I like that the pickup becomes part of the resonance of the rest of the guitar.  There's no pickup ring disconnect.  How much difference does it make?  I'll be dipped but the few direct guitars I own speak loud and clear.

I've yet to jump into bari's.  I'd think the low end would be absolutely intoxicating and I'd never come back.  I have used a Line6 Variax to downtune on the fly and my bass player commented: "hey...stay in your own lane" :-)
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jwin615

Quote from: jimilee on February 24, 2023, 10:29:45 PM
I would love to have a bari in the stable. I have a 7 string Ibanez universe, I'm no quite sure how they compare, though.
I've tried 7s, but I am very firmly a rhythm guy and lossing a high sting doesn't hurt my feelings.
Quote from: gordo on February 24, 2023, 11:03:21 PM
That looks great.  I don't mind guitars that are less than pristine.  As long as it sings and plays great I can easily overlook dings and scratches.  I sort of look at them as tools and I'd be suspicious of a shiny perfect hammer.

I like direct mount too.  They can be a pain in the a$$ to adjust but once it's there it's done and I like that the pickup becomes part of the resonance of the rest of the guitar.  There's no pickup ring disconnect.  How much difference does it make?  I'll be dipped but the few direct guitars I own speak loud and clear.

I've yet to jump into bari's.  I'd think the low end would be absolutely intoxicating and I'd never come back.  I have used a Line6 Variax to downtune on the fly and my bass player commented: "hey...stay in your own lane" :-)

Since my other bari is still pristine, I know which one to grab at 1030 on a Saturday night :)
It's got two chunks of paint out below the jack and a BB sized ding on the front but everything else is surface scratches.
I like the connect with the body of direct mount but thing like destroying the threads in the pickups, only so much wood until it potentially strips and I just don't think it looks as nice...
I could use a little disconnect with this one to be honest. It's walnut and it's resonance is loooooow. The neck pup in both are a sentient and the Jeribari has was more low mid mush and less highs. Now, I think it was too low, hence the added foam. There was a clear half inch plus string clearance before so I think it was ghasping some.  The sh-4 in the bringe hasn't been favored yet either. But, I think there is something off in the wiring. All 5 pickup positions  sound different but the tap test seems as though the bridge is always active. Or maybe it's just super resonant and I misheard it. I'll probably gut electronics at some point, we'll see.
But the build quality is great and the neck is straight.  My first with grover locking tuners too and man, I love those.