News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ever built the tone virus read this first

Started by jimilee, February 08, 2023, 01:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

I bet I troubleshot this thing for 30 minutes. It's supposed to sound like that AND it's polyphonic. Watch a video before you build it. That being said....

It's an awesome fun little noise maker as only EQD could do. I like it, and I can't wait to box it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

lars

I finished building the Super Heterodyne Receiver just weeks before the Tone Virus board came out, otherwise I would have went with the Bean project of course.
The EQD Data Corrupter is definitely not for the faint of heart, or for anybody that likes to set and forget controls. It sometimes does unexpected things even if you don't touch anything. The key with any pedal like this is in the subtleties. Cranking up the Subharmonic and Oscillator volumes will leave you with a mess in a hurry. They need to be blended in sparingly. The Fuzz alone is actually very musical and could really be a pedal in and of itself.
I think a very useful mod would be two extra footswitches to turn off/on the Subharmonic and Oscillator sections (probably as simple as grounding their respective volume pot outputs), so you can suddenly go into a really wacky setting, and then go back to just fuzz instantly. Hmmm....
One interesting sound I've found is a pseudo through-zero swoosh that sounds really great on leads. Surprisingly, the pedal tracks really well with tapping too!

jimilee

Quote from: lars on February 08, 2023, 02:53:17 AM
I finished building the Super Heterodyne Receiver just weeks before the Tone Virus board came out, otherwise I would have went with the Bean project of course.
The EQD Data Corrupter is definitely not for the faint of heart, or for anybody that likes to set and forget controls. It sometimes does unexpected things even if you don't touch anything. The key with any pedal like this is in the subtleties. Cranking up the Subharmonic and Oscillator volumes will leave you with a mess in a hurry. They need to be blended in sparingly. The Fuzz alone is actually very musical and could really be a pedal in and of itself.
I think a very useful mod would be two extra footswitches to turn off/on the Subharmonic and Oscillator sections (probably as simple as grounding their respective volume pot outputs), so you can suddenly go into a really wacky setting, and then go back to just fuzz instantly. Hmmm....
One interesting sound I've found is a pseudo through-zero swoosh that sounds really great on leads. Surprisingly, the pedal tracks really well with tapping too!
I feel that an expression pedal that could be switched to any one pot would be a cool idea, the subharmonic or oscillator would be my choice for a single only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.