News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Luna Obscura (Dark Side of the Moon Pedal)

Started by dan.schumaker, January 03, 2023, 02:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

Here is the last build of 2022 for me.  This is a continuation of my artist-pedalboard-in-a-box series.  This time I put together a build based on David Gilmour's Dark Side of the Moon pedals. 

For the majority of Dark Side tones, Gilmour used a combination of Fuzz Face, Overdriver, Uni-vibe and Echorec (along with a few more, but those are the bulk of tones).  The pedal starts with a modified Silicon Fuzz Face (I used the Lunar Module as a base for the Fuzz).  This moves into a Powerbooster circuit ran at +18V.  Then it hits an effects loop if you want to add other pedals and then onto a Uni-Vibe circuit.  This is the same Uni-Vibe I used on my Gypsy (https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=34170.msg327607#msg327607) pedal.  It sounds really good and vibe-y and the addition of being able to use an expression pedal really adds to its versatility.  The Delay portion on this is a multi-head PT2399 delay I've been working on based on the Binson Echorec.  Its taken a lot of inspiration from the Skidmark Sonomatic and DiabloChris's Sagan Delay.  It has basic controls for Mix, Swell (Feedback) and Delay time, with 4 switches to select what heads are active.  Unlike the Echorec with a max delay around 310-340ms, this goes up to about 800ms. Each head compounds into the other, so the ratio's of all delay heads are the same as a true Echorec.  When you have multiple heads active, it creates a really cool sounding effect, something you don't hear anywhere else.

All in all, this is a really cool pedal.  I'm really happy with how it turned out, and even if you aren't looking for Dark side tones, I think that it would be a very versatile grab-and-go pedal that would work in plenty of situations.

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

jessenator

[NOBODY CARED ABOUT THAT]

jjjimi84

Bio77

dan.schumaker

Quote from: Bio77 on January 04, 2023, 03:46:59 PM
Was wondering, what is the vactrol for? 

The Vactrol is to convert the normal Dual Gang Speed pot to a Single Gang speed pot (which then can be wired to an expression pedal).  I took the idea from Brian's Harbinger 2 and RG Keen's UVICS (Univibe in a Crybaby Shell) document.

Bio77

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation.  Killer build, dude 8)