News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Harbinger 1.5 light shield paint/foil color

Started by jessenator, October 11, 2022, 11:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

Forgive me if I missed this in the documentation (I swear I've read it again and again), but is the idea to have a warmer color, like copper foil, be the reflected surface for the optics? Or can one use just aluminum foil or the like? I saw Gordo's build report thread and he used copper foil, and the paint in the documentation looks copper-ish, but thought I'd check anyways.

Thanks

madbean

Some people use reflective shields and some don't. For example, my favorite Univibe (the Mojovibe) uses a rectangular box that's reflective. But, the BlackCat Vibe (which also sounded great) used a round shield that was flat black. Both got the job done but were probably tweaked slightly differently depending.

Since Al foil is easy to work with I suggest trying both and see if you prefer one method over the other. One possible argument for a reflective surface is it means the bulb doesn't have to be as bright. This could lengthen bulb life and reduce current consumption but that's just speculation by me.

jessenator

Thanks, Bean!

Nice thing about a 3d printer is there's room for experimentation. I'll give both a try. I'd definitely be interested if there's even a chance of lengthening the life of a part (means one doesn't have to crack it open again).

I'm guessing the orientation for the square version is this:

and not this?

gordo

In my case I thought it was kinda cool looking (even though the LDR's are the only ones that will see it) and the results were so good that I'm convinced it's the magic formula.  At least till the next magic formula.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?