News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Royal Dawn - Storyboardist King of the Morning PCB

Started by Willybomb, October 07, 2022, 01:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Gudday all, this is Royal Dawn, otherwise known as Storyboardist's/Effectlayout's King of the Morning, running a Morning Glory into a Prince of Tone.  It might be the other way around, I'm not 100% on that.

Anyway...

So this was a complete bastard to get running.  Everything would work fine out of the box, but as soon as I boxed it up I just had motorboating, which normally means a ground is disconnected. 
I pulled the guts out and tested it - worked fine. 
Put the stuff back in, minus DC and 1/4inch jacks, tested - worked.
Put that stuff back in, tightened everything up and...... it motorboated.

I pulled the guts out again and got much the same result.  I replaced a jack as jiggling could cut the sound.  I looked closer and saw the clipping and cut switches were up against a couple of pot legs so I put some masking tape between those, reboxed, tested.  Right, that worked.  Tightened everything up and tested, great - it works.

All that is on me anyway, probably took some dodgy measurements off the drill doc.

I think I like this one the most so far out of my recent builds, or at least the Morning Glory side for some reason.  Turns out I'm still not a massive fan of stacking drives.

I might need to look at it again, as it's only just making a bit past unity volume, especially with a couple of the clipping modes.

Willy.

jimilee

Nice, that's a pretty clever layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Holy crap that monochrome stealth look is pretty darn sexy.  I hear you on the stacking bit.  It's never quite worked out for me.  Even pushing a drive with a booster has been a bit dodgy.  The lower gain stuff tends to work a bit better (Aion Yamaha drive is a good example), but otherwise I tend to run into a bit too much noise.

Compression into a drive.  Now that's another story...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Willybomb

Quote from: gordo on October 07, 2022, 11:15:00 PM
Holy crap that monochrome stealth look is pretty darn sexy.  I hear you on the stacking bit.  It's never quite worked out for me.  Even pushing a drive with a booster has been a bit dodgy.  The lower gain stuff tends to work a bit better (Aion Yamaha drive is a good example), but otherwise I tend to run into a bit too much noise.

Compression into a drive.  Now that's another story...

Yep, big fan of some compression beforehand.  I agree with the boost before drive thing too - too much and it sounds *clipped*, not enough and it's not really making enough difference to warrant doing it.