News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PCBs in airplane luggage?!

Started by Tremster, August 16, 2022, 06:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

Having reached my holiday destination I'll share my results

I put the three of them in my checked bag, just packed in between clothes and such, wrapped in a single plastic bag. Perhaps things were slow (flew out on s Sunday), but I didn't even get so much as a note from the TSA that they'd opened and searched my bag, so I think it was all alright.

I spoke with some extended family who may or may not work for TSA, but they may or may not have suggested always putting that kind of stuff in checked bags when you can.

spi

I was once stopped at airport security carrying a mainboard for a radar DSP (this was job related, I don't normally travel with radars).   The security agent asked what it was for, and I tried to explain it was like a component of a large computer system.  He said if it's a computer, then turn it on and prove it.  At that point we reached a stalemate.  He had to call the pilot of my flight to get approval for me to board with it.   All of this was pre-9/11 too.

Tremster

PCBs and diodes have landed safely with no problems at all. I'm looking at them right now.