News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Maestro MP-1 Phaser / Stage Fright

Started by Loach, April 21, 2022, 12:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loach

Greetings,
A friend of mine would like me to build him a clone of a Maestro MP-1 Phaser. I would like to make it as close to the original circuit as I can, but I don't feel that I need to reinvent the wheel. I am considering basing the build off of the Stage Fright. I would welcome any feedback as to the tonal differences between a circuit using the original CA3094E OTAs versus one using the LM13700 instead. Assuming that I already have enough of the CA3094Es on hand. Thank you for any input!

madbean

I can't really speak to the difference between the LM13700 and CA3094 since I've never had any of the latter. But, having done several conversions older designs for the LM13700 they have always performed great and without issue. It may be possible to design an adaptor board for the CA3094 to retrofit the Stage Fright (the new version is actually releasing today). That would probably be the easiest way to directly compare the two different chips in the same circuit.

danfrank

The CA3094 is a noisy IC. When it originally came out, most circuits were noisy compared with what's available today. The LM13700 is superior in every way to the CA3094.
IDK why people get so twisted about rolling different op amps in their circuits...

gordo

I really don't know what I'm talking about but like the case of SAD1024 circuits maybe that noise is really part of the magic.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

The LM series were, at one point, a little cheaper and easier sourced. That's changed in the last several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.