News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

EHX Zipper-lectric-fx flyleaf

Started by Thewintersoldier, March 21, 2022, 01:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

This is a fun one from the boys at Lectric-fx, the flyleaf. It's the Zipper envelope filter and it's got a different flavor. I've had this built and tested since early December and finally boxed it up, which is not like me since I generally start and finish before starting something new. An OTA lm324 and jfets replace the vactrols on something like the mutron III/Q-tron which give it grittier sound and lends itself better to more synthy type sounds. I like this one and am thinking of leaving it on an all bass board I'm working on. I especially like it in LP mode on the slow attack setting. Nice range on it too. Another winner. Tayda powder coated light blue enclosure with Quicksilver graphic. Nice easy build with good tones.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Another home run, nicely done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

harryklippton

peccary

Bio77

That's awesome! 

This one went under my radar.  I usually prefer OTA phasers over optical. Do you think their are tonal parallels between phasers and filters with respect to optical versus OTA? 

Thewintersoldier

Thanks guy. To answer your question John, the only other ota envelope filters I've played are the DOD fx25 and 440 reissue. It's a slightly different flavor than vactrol based ones but I generally tend to like most ota based pedals. This one I think has a more linear  and consistent response to the envelope where as led/ldrs can vary quite a bit. It's smooth though. And I agree it's phasers are are supreme superiority.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Scruffie

I think you've mixed up the LM324 with the LM13600, there's no OTA here, just J-FET's as variable resistors.

Can't think of any other envelope filter that went that route off the top of my head.
Works at Lectric-FX

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Scruffie on March 21, 2022, 07:53:52 PM
I think you've mixed up the LM324 with the LM13600, there's no OTA here, just J-FET's as variable resistors.

Can't think of any other envelope filter that went that route off the top of my head.
Damn your right Scruffie, I don't know what I was thinking. Must have been just the DOD stuff then. I haven't read the build doc since last December so I don't know where my head is at! 🤦🤷 Post edited to reflect me being a dumbass.
Who the hell is Bucky?