News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help Me Decide; Yellow Shark Or Serendipity?

Started by frankie5fingers, April 11, 2012, 12:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankie5fingers

I want to build a small travelling board.  I have a BluesBreaker for low gain and a fuzz.  I need one more OD to dirty up a Tweed Pro (at lower volume) so... Zendrive or Sweet honey, which flavor for medium gain, tight and articulate and of course, is either the Shark or Serendipity more tweed suited?  (tweed suit, C'mon now that's funny).
Thanks in advance for the advice, Frank

sgmezei

I vote serendipity. You can tweak the mid and highs easier and my tweed can sound pretty boomy. The tone control on the yellow shark works great too. Works like a cut control, cutting out the low end.

I find the serendipity can have way more clean output on tap. My yellow shark doesn't put out quite enough volume without turning up the gain a bit. The serendipity has tons. Although you can always mod the yellow shark for more output.

Just my 2cents, but they are both awesome pedals.

jkokura

I should note that the Sweet Honey OD and the Yellow Shark are not the same. The Yellow Shark is the Honey Bee OD which is not the same.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

mjcyates

I have built both and preferred the Serendipity.

frankie5fingers

Jacob - right you are - I was thinking Honey Bee but saying Sweet Honey - which is your vote for what I'm looking for?
sg and mj, would you say the Serendipity "sounds" more tweedy or melds better with a tweed?  I really only have room for one... but of course, want to build 'em both.

jkokura

The Zendrive is supposed to be "dumble"esque. The Honey Bee is supposed to be "Supro"esque. I actually think any dual op amp overdrive can do what you want, including the bluesbreaker which you're already using.

Actually, I woud recommend trying a Timmy out. It's very, very helpful at low volume I think. It's also very helpful, because of the way the EQ works, at fitting in with pretty much any amp or guitar I've tried thus far.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

frankie5fingers

My thinking, with those two, which as you say are similar to each other and the already existing BBreaker, would be to keep the same basic tone but have switchable "levels" of gain for lack of a better word.  Adding another tone isn't necessarily a bad plan either - is there a Timmy-like build available or is that the only game in town?  I ask because a favorite part of building (as I'm sure is the same for all the Forum members) is the ability to fine tune and tweak, something the production pedals aren't suited for (warranty at the very least).  Is the Timmy such a keeper that it's fine the way it is?
Thanks

oldhousescott

The EQ on the Serendipity is very similar to the Timmy, and with a few component changes.......

jkokura

That's true. They are similar enough...

However, my point is that pretty much any low gain OD would work. Perhaps because you like the blues breaker you should look at doing two in one enclosure, which is essentially what the king of tone is. Plenty of them floating around...

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

slimtriggers

Quote from: mjcyates on April 11, 2012, 01:49:01 AM
+1

Much wider range of tones in the Serendipity.  I wouldn't call either of those transparent, if that matters at all. 

sgmezei

Quote from: slimtriggers on April 11, 2012, 04:49:21 AM
Quote from: mjcyates on April 11, 2012, 01:49:01 AM
+1

Much wider range of tones in the Serendipity.  I wouldn't call either of those transparent, if that matters at all. 

Yeah this is how I feel too. Wider range of tones and more flexibility.

GermanCdn

Serendipity all the way, or for even better results, run a Serendipity into a Timmy or a Kalamazoo circuit.  Very nice.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

frankie5fingers

And there you have it.  Serendipity.  I'll try both. a built Timmy and I'll put togeher a Serendipity.  We'll see what happens.  Thanks to all for the comments.