News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda UV Printing - Blue Showing Up in Gloss Layer?

Started by PangeaDestructor, March 04, 2022, 05:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PangeaDestructor

I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong on my gloss layer, wondering if anyone else has encountered this. Tayda keeps rejecting my pdfs with a note that says "Your artwork has severe issues. Please contact us using Help Desk section in your Tayda Electronics account."

When I opened a help ticket, here was the response:

Hello,
I looked at our internal notes, it says, your gloss layer, some parts are painted with rdg_gloss but some parts are not, they are just blue but not painted with actual rdg_gloss.Thanks,Hugo

I'm using Inkscape to do the initial layout following the tutorials here, then in Affinity - yeah, I know Hugo doesn't like AF but I don't want to subscribe to Adobe - I'm selecting everything and applying RDG_GLOSS. I've gone back into my Inkscape and made sure that every single element is ungrouped and vectorized, so I'm not understanding how it's possible that some of the items in my gloss layer are the right color swatch, and some are just blue.

Bio77

A couple of ideas that came to mind.  Maybe you have some deep grouped layers?  This happens sometimes when you vectorize an image.  You might have to ungroup the whole thing several times before it is actually ungrouped.  Or you might have to manually select a bunch of pieces and change the color of each one. Second idea, when you are selecting everything you might be changing the color of the fill and not the trace or vice versa.  You need both to be the right color.  It might help to put a solid background of a color that isn't in your graphic while you do the conversion, to help you see any white parts that haven't been converted.  When you are sure you got everything, you can delete it.

PangeaDestructor

Hmmm. I ungroup everything excessively once I'm happy with how it looks, so I can't see how that would be the problem unless I need to separately ungroup everything in the images that I import before incorporating them into the design. I'll try that later.

I think the latter point is the more likely culprit, but if I'm doing ctrl+a before changing a layer to RDG_GLOSS, wouldn't that get every element, regardless of whether it's a fill or trace?

Bio77

I'm using an old version of Illustrator so this may not apply.  I sometimes have issue when I convert a JPEG to vector using the trace command.  sometimes there are layers that won't ungroup. When that happens I have to select each individual piece or hold the command key to grab multiple pieces and then change the color.  It can get tedious sometimes, if the pieces are small. 

Thewintersoldier

I have never had this happen. If you want to send me the PDF I can look it over for you and see if anything is wrong.
Who the hell is Bucky?

PangeaDestructor

Just PM'd you about the offer, I really appreciate it, super generous of you. The process has been frustrating enough that I've been just foregoing the gloss layer after multiple attempts on each design and sometimes spraying a clearcoat on them at home.