News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Silverfox Capacitor & Pots Help

Started by johnti006, February 18, 2022, 06:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnti006

Hi All,

This is my 1st time building a pedal and I am doing the Silverface. I searched for my answers but could not find anything specific and was looking for some help on the following:

1) Capacitor physical size - what is the ideal physical size of the capacitors I should use? I see people recommending 2.5 mm spacing as well as 5 mm. I cannot tell from the diagrams what is ideal. For instance, for the 100n Film capacitor will this one work in this PCB?
0.1uF, 260v Lead Spacing: 5 mm Length: 7.2 mm  Width:4.5 mm Height: 9 mm
(https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KEMET/MMK5104K250J03L165TR18?qs=LpuuGx8iR2TcFrcERC2m3w%3D%3D)?

2) Wiring the pots - I did not see specifics in the PDF about where the wires go. I see red and blue wires in the diagram but no description of where to connect them on the pots.

Thanks in advance & I apologize if I should have found these answers myself. I searched everywhere and just was not sure..

jimilee

Quote from: johnti006 on February 18, 2022, 06:25:34 PM
Hi All,

This is my 1st time building a pedal and I am doing the Silverface. I searched for my answers but could not find anything specific and was looking for some help on the following:

1) Capacitor physical size - what is the ideal physical size of the capacitors I should use? I see people recommending 2.5 mm spacing as well as 5 mm. I cannot tell from the diagrams what is ideal. For instance, for the 100n Film capacitor will this one work in this PCB?
0.1uF, 260v Lead Spacing: 5 mm Length: 7.2 mm  Width:4.5 mm Height: 9 mm
(https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KEMET/MMK5104K250J03L165TR18?qs=LpuuGx8iR2TcFrcERC2m3w%3D%3D)?

2) Wiring the pots - I did not see specifics in the PDF about where the wires go. I see red and blue wires in the diagram but no description of where to connect them on the pots.

Thanks in advance & I apologize if I should have found these answers myself. I searched everywhere and just was not sure..

The caps are all 5mm spacing, 16v oM(electros, the film are usually 50 I think) or there about will get you the right size. The pots can be board mounted instead of solder lug, BUT there is a small 1 where the first pot lug goes. You can google potentiometer pinouts to see which lug is 1.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Zerro

At real you don't need to care about size of caps too much, if you will cucceed to get them in pcb :@) 5mm or 10mm...
Here is important value (here 100nF/minimally at 16V, if we talk about that one in power section.) Generally, for power blocking are more suitable ceramic ones. But here it will be not so important I guess. Power supply is 9V, so every cap for min. 16V will be ok at all positions. Ceramic or film... Only C2 100pF is at hi-gain feedback, so I would use film her - not too microphonic.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

johnti006

Thanks for your answers. I think what threw me off is that at Mouser they only seem to have high voltage capacitors which made me worry they would be too big. I looked at Tayda and they seem to have lower voltages (~100 volts) with 5mm spacing and they are much cheaper.

Just to double-check, this cap would work, right? https://www.taydaelectronics.com/capacitors/polyester-mylar-film-capacitors/22nf-0-022uf-100v-5-mylar-film-capacitors.html

jimilee

Quote from: Zerro on February 18, 2022, 08:28:02 PM
At real you don't need to care about size of caps too much, if you will cucceed to get them in pcb :@) 5mm or 10mm...
Here is important value (here 100nF/minimally at 16V, if we talk about that one in power section.) Generally, for power blocking are more suitable ceramic ones. But here it will be not so important I guess. Power supply is 9V, so every cap for min. 16V will be ok at all positions. Ceramic or film... Only C2 100pF is at hi-gain feedback, so I would use film her - not too microphonic.
That's not entirely true. If the caps are too large, it will cause issues fitting the all in or fitting it into an enclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Zerro

I meant it this way.

Those caps you sent link, are fully sufficient :@)
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

Bio77

johnti006

madbean

Quote from: johnti006 on February 18, 2022, 08:44:19 PM
Thanks for your answers. I think what threw me off is that at Mouser they only seem to have high voltage capacitors which made me worry they would be too big. I looked at Tayda and they seem to have lower voltages (~100 volts) with 5mm spacing and they are much cheaper.

Just to double-check, this cap would work, right? https://www.taydaelectronics.com/capacitors/polyester-mylar-film-capacitors/22nf-0-022uf-100v-5-mylar-film-capacitors.html

Not a fan of greenies. Also, larger values of those tend to get physically large as well.
If using Tayda, I recommend their box caps: https://www.taydaelectronics.com/capacitors/polyester-film-box-type-capacitors.html

Almost all the mbp projects are designed for 5mm spacing, and will accommodate 50v, 63, or 100v box caps. There are some exceptions but they are noted in those cases in the build docs.