News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Amp Building Book?

Started by jkokura, December 20, 2011, 02:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Anyone have an amp building/info book they'd recommend? I was perusing Amazon, but I'd love some feedback if any of you have one you like.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimmybjj

this one is great especially if your just starting. He goes into great detail about how the circuit works. I have a lot of amp books, and this one is up there on my list.
Pcbs no longer available

jkokura

JMK PCBs *New Website*

jimmybjj

ha sorry :) that makes it a little harder :)

Guitar Amplifier Handbook - Understanding Tube Amplifiers and Getting Great Sounds

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Amplifier-Handbook-Understanding-Amplifiers/dp/087930863X
Pcbs no longer available

jkokura

JMK PCBs *New Website*

mgwhit

+1 on Dave Hunter's "Guitar Amp Handbook".  That was my bible for a few months when I was trying to learn tube amp electronics.  He dissects the Fender "Tweed" Princeton circuit at the beginning of the book, talks about every component  and basic design configurations, and then at the end of the book does a walk-through of building a small (but interesting) combo amp.  I built a 5f2a while I was reading this and found it indispensable.  There are plenty of more advanced books out there, but I don't think there is a better one for beginners.

Once you master the basics, Merlin Blencowe's "Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass" will blow your mind.  Much of his material is available online at his Valve Wizard site.

Don't waste your time on the Tube Amp Book.  It's interesting and has lots of (barely  legible) schematics, but you won't learn much about building from it.

Good luck and be safe!  There's a big difference between 9V and 450V.

sgmezei

Hey Jacob,

Dave Hunters Book. That one is amazing and I am so glad to have it. If it was lost, I would buy it again. It is very well written by a guitar player, for guitar players.

There are also torrents online for Gerald Webers amp building DVD's if you dont want to shell out alot of money or them. They are good too. But the Dave Hunter is awesome.

nzCdog

I have this one, "Design and Construction of Tube Guitar Amplifiers"

Bought it from amplified parts.  It's pretty comprehensive... but moves quickly so you need to pay attention. Starts with electronic theory goes though amp theory and ends with a building section including a first power up guide for your build.  Pretty good, reads like an engineers textbook, not really for electronic n00bs.  That said, neither is building tube amps ;).  I learned a lot

jimmybjj

Quote from: jkokura on December 20, 2011, 03:22:56 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Design-Construction-Tube-Guitar-Amplifiers/dp/0615291805/ref=pd_sim_b_2

If you have a bunch, how would you feel about lending me some?

Jacob

From what i remember (i'll let you know when i can get back home tonight) that book is at least half of schematics. And i think that is the book that contains amp histories and tech articles, not really good for a first book, in my opinion.

I agree webers vids are a good starting point in conjunction with a book. His books are little all over the place with a little of "...put this here and stack this here..." rather than telling you why something works.

Merlin Blencowe's (member over at diystompboxes) is the daddy of all of my other books. lots of tech stuff and not a beginners book at all, it is just not a great book starting.

Pm sent....
Pcbs no longer available

shawnee

I have Dave Hunters The Guitar Amp Handbook as well and I loved it. It's a great primer to get "some" understanding of tube amp circuitry. (by the way- the blanked out parts on the schematic are done to only show the part of the circuit that he describing at the time, not to hide things).
If you want it all then Kevin O'Connor's "Ultimate Tone" series is amazing. It is a series of six or seven books but they cost about $70 each. My friend has them all and builds amps on a regular basis.

diagrammatiks

merlin's 2 books are pretty much the only books you need to start out.

TNblueshawk

I read Dave Hunters too and rarely understood a word  :P yer found it great reading and will read it again when I get a little toob amp experiencing.

I actually dig all his books. His one on PUP's is stellar.
John