News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Irregular Shape PCB in Eagle (Nerd Alert)

Started by skypn, January 20, 2022, 03:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skypn

I mill my own PCB's on a 3018 CNC. I've been toying with the idea of of cutting odd shaped boards for a little while now. This morning I think I may have solved it. Disclaimer: No curves lines, just straights and angles. One also needs to know some VERY basic gcode commands. And yes, it is a little bit of a PITA, but I feel it is worth it.
I use four different programs to achieve this: Eagle as my PCB design software (gerber files), Flatcam to generate gcode, ncviewer.com (online) to simulate what my mill will cut, and CAMotics to edit  the gcode (this is the snarky bit). One could use other such programs I guess, these are just what I know how to use (mostly).
I'll be brief, not a "full" tutorial, but will answer any questions I can.

In Eagle draw the shape you need with the line tool on the top layer, using a thin line, ~.5 mm. Under the Cam Processor pick Profile. Add the top layer to the Profile's layer list. Unfortunately you can't delete the board shape layer (you'll do that via gcode editing). Under advance setting mirror it. Process job.
In Flatcam open the profile gerber. You'll notice your cutout shape, and a square board shape. Go through the regular process of isolation routing using only one pass. Tool dia, depth, feedrate and spindle speed all set to what you use to cut out boards. Go through all the steps to generate the gcode.
At ncviewer.com open your gcode, and find the lines that cut the inner shape (there will be two) of your custom board, hightlight and copy.
In CAMotics make a short gcode file of just the generic opening and closing lines (I'll post what I use if wanted), paste the lines from the veiwer between them. Save and then open your new gcode file in the web veiwer. Cross your fingers, and if you had all the right lines copied that will be it.
I hope this all wasn't too boring, but if only one other member mills their own boards, and needs to wrap the front edge of their board around the dc jack, then I feel this is worth the trouble ;)
Knowledge for Knowledge's Sake