News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Burr Brown ICs - Worth The $ in a "Clean" Pedal?

Started by Micpoc, December 17, 2011, 05:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micpoc

I'm in the planning stages of a few pedals right now, including a Ross comp and the Madbean Double Flush tremolo, and I'm curious as to whether or not the Burr Brown OPA series of chips will make a noticeable difference in tone/headroom/etc. I get that in a dirt box their "improvements" may be lost, but what about in ostensibly cleaner pedals like the above?

JakeFuzz

I like them for the cleaner effects. I don't think the sound quality over the NE5532 is really worth the money for the $10+ ones though. Its hard to describe why they sound better, but it is definitely more clear to my ears. 

Micpoc

Cool, thanks Jake. Do you happen to know which ones would be suitable for use in the Double Flush (JRC4558, LF351, TL062) and the Ross comp (TL072)?

jkokura

The Ross comp doesn't use a TL072, it uses a CA3080E. Are you sure you have the right project?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

diagrammatiks

you can use some combination of opa2604, 2134 and 1612

Haberdasher

for the jfet opamps a good upgrade that I use is the TLE line from TI

TLE2072
TLE2062

I used a jrc4558 and TLE2062 in my double flush and it sounds just bootiful.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

JakeFuzz

Quote from: Grigori on December 17, 2011, 06:20:52 PM
Cool, thanks Jake. Do you happen to know which ones would be suitable for use in the Double Flush (JRC4558, LF351, TL062) and the Ross comp (TL072)?

Yeah I am not too sure about the compressor. Check the schem on the double flush, one (or maybe more) of those amps is used as an oscillator (I think the lf351). You don't want to use an expensive amp in there, it just outputs the wave to the optoisolator. Only use BB's in signal positions (I think the JRC4558). 

Micpoc

Quote from: jkokura on December 17, 2011, 06:31:25 PM
The Ross comp doesn't use a TL072, it uses a CA3080E. Are you sure you have the right project?

Jacob

Actually, I'm using a modified version with a blend control, and the TL072 is for that function.

Micpoc

Quote from: JakeFuzz on December 17, 2011, 07:00:49 PMCheck the schem on the double flush, one (or maybe more) of those amps is used as an oscillator (I think the lf351). You don't want to use an expensive amp in there, it just outputs the wave to the optoisolator. Only use BB's in signal positions (I think the JRC4558). 

Well, reading and interpreting schematics is not my strong suit by any means, but pin 6 of the LF351 (output) goes to a resistor, then pot, then the LDF of the optoisolator; is that what you mean by "ouputs the wave"?

JakeFuzz

Just took a look at the schem. Yeah the TL062 is the oscillator and the LF351 is the LED driver, so neither of those need to be changed. The JRC4558D is the only opamp that passes the guitar signal.

jkokura

And in a clean blend function, is it working as a gain driver or a pickup buffer? In that case a higher quality IC might do something, but I would suspect that the quality over a TL072 would be unnoticeable.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals