News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pork Barrel - capacitor suggestions

Started by Bret608, December 16, 2011, 08:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Hello all you Pork Barrel veterans out there,

I just ordered a Pork Barrel PCB and am hoping folks can steer in the right direction on the caps. On the build doc, I can tell on the layout which ones are box film and which ones are electrolytics. What about the others? I'm thinking poly film, but I feel like I've seen a ceramic disk or two on some of the gut shots posted here.

Thanks!

Bret

keysandguitars

I built the Pork Barrel http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2992.0

I used ceramic caps on C4, C6, C18 as I didn't have any poly film in those smaller values. Usually in the pF values, ceramics are used. If I can find poly film caps in the lower pF values I will use those, like I did for C11 & C16 which is 470pF, easy to source.

I like Brian's boards and layout diagrams because he uses the rectangles for the nF values, oval type shape for pF values, and circles for electrolytics. I use box caps or poly films in the nF values (box shape), ceramics in the pF or poly film if I can find them in the smaller values (oval), and of course electrolytics in the electrolytics spots (circles).

I hope that is of some help.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

Bret608

You bet, that's a tremendous help! I agree; the way Brian lays things out already takes out a lot of the guesswork. But you've definitely alerted me to an additional nuance that will have me scratching my head a lot less when I'm ordering components!

Cheers,

Bret