News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Well I got an amp question

Started by madbean, February 04, 2021, 05:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I've got a Princeton RI that has recently developed a resonant buzz. It's really prominent on certain notes (fretted A on the G string and fretted C on the A string). What do you think could be the source of such a thing? Speaker? Or maybe some other mechanical fault like a loose tube socket? It just started recently and it's rather annoying. I plan to investigate but was hoping someone might have insight based on experience.

EBK

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

matmosphere

Have you turned the reverb all the way down to see if the problem is in that area?

I agree with ebk make sure all the hardware is tight, though I don't know that would do it. Make sure the speaker is secure as well. I'd look at the tube sockets next. I have seen some tutorials on cleaning tube sockets and making sure the tubes are seated correctly.

You could always drop a line to the Truth About Vintage Amps podcast. They're awesome and that guy would have so good tips for you. It's worth listening to even if you don't send them the question.

gordo

+1 on loose hardware.  Always a possibility that it's the speaker baffle as well.

There's always a possibility that you've got a microphonic tube so move those around if possible.  Tapping with a pencil will show relative levels but resonance at a certain freq is a bit trickier and I'd lean more towards hardware.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

G.G.

yeah that kind of sounds like a microphonic tube. Have you taken the covers off and tapped around on any of them yet?

jimilee

I'm going with speaker for 1.00 Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesmokingman

microphonic tube ... maybe old caps/resistors ... almost certain to find it with enough chopstick work
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

madbean

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll do the tap test first on the tubes. I'm sure my hammer is around somewhere :)

Aentons

Turn it upside down and see if anything falls out