News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what is that noise?

Started by massatony, December 27, 2020, 07:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

massatony

Okay, so I've built around a 100 pedals, with the majority working as intended. The problem I have is that many have a rattily  sound.... something like a not quite right speaker. The sound is not overly loud however is annoying and I would dearly like to know what causes it.
The amps are fine and are not the problem.
Any help would be appreciated.

Bio77

What about your power source for the pedals? 

mauman

Can you talk about the conditions when it's there, and when it's not?
- bypass vs. active?
- high vs. low volume setting on the pedal?
- high vs. low input level from the guitar/other pedals?
- high vs. low gain setting on the pedal?  etc

matmosphere

I always try to make sure stuff like that isn't caused by the wiring in my house or some lighting or something like that.

Try setting up in a different room, or see if it happens at somebody else's house. Unplug everything and try stuff one pedal at a time, see if it's inherent to a single pedal or if it only happens when things are chained together.

massatony

It happens regardless whether that pedal is in a chain or not. I am aware of ground loop and have ensured that all gear used works off the same GPO.

massatony

bypass vs. active?                                                                     Only on active
- high vs. low volume setting on the pedal?                                  Doesn't matter
- high vs. low input level from the guitar/other pedals?                  ditto
- high vs. low gain setting on the pedal?  etc                                 Ditto

The mystery is that it only happens with some pedals. If a "good' pedal is chained with "bad" pedal. the noise is there unless the "bad" pedal is bypassed.

massatony

Well the power source works fine with other pedals. Although i was considering including a simple power filter to the circuits which are problematic.... and see what happns.

mauman

I think we might need to hear the noise.  Can you post something here, Soundcloud or YouTube?