News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Eraser Headtrip

Started by Bio77, December 13, 2020, 11:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

You already had me at David Lynch-themed pedal, but the circuit sounds super-fun to try as well!

Thewintersoldier

This is really great john, inside and out it looks amazing! how are you soldering in smd stuff? I'm only doing smd transistors and jfets  dor the time being and using a chisel tip. I've watched tutorials online and am thinking of getting a hoof shaped tip for my iron. And suggestions for chips cause that fv-1 looks flawless.
Who the hell is Bucky?

dan.schumaker

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on December 16, 2020, 12:52:02 PM
This is really great john, inside and out it looks amazing! how are you soldering in smd stuff? I'm only doing smd transistors and jfets  dor the time being and using a chisel tip. I've watched tutorials online and am thinking of getting a hoof shaped tip for my iron. And suggestions for chips cause that fv-1 looks flawless.

Best way I've found to do chips is using solder paste (https://www.amazon.com/Clean-Leaded-Solder-Paste-Grams/dp/B017RSZFQQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=27K0PG6E18505&dchild=1&keywords=solder+syringe&qid=1608125126&sprefix=solder+syrin%2Caps%2C699&sr=8-5) and a cheap heat gun (https://www.amazon.com/Homidic-Handheld-Electric-Portable-Embossing/dp/B07P5WFHJ7/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=heat+gun&qid=1608125162&sr=8-3). 

I've been doing SMD IC's that way for a few years, and it works flawlessly.  Makes a tedious task so much easier!

Bio77

Thanks everyone, appreciate the encouragement!

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on December 16, 2020, 12:52:02 PM
I use the drag method, I found a youtube video that was pretty good.  You mentioning the hoof tip makes me think you might have watched the same video.  That solder paste Dan mentioned sounds interesting, I'm going to check that out.

I do all the smd first (just one in this case).  First, lay down a liberal coat of flux on the pads with a flux pen.  I use curved tweezers to position the chip.  I put a dab of solder on the tip of my chisel tip.  Once the chip looks positioned, I tack opposite corners to hold it in place.  Then I load up the tip with another drop of solder and drag it across the leads.  If there are any bridges I re-drag across with no solder.  If there is a dry spot, a little more flux and the dab method, like the corners. 

It sounds complicated but it actually goes pretty quick.  When I'm done I clean the PCB with acetone and I'm ready to start populating.  Not sure if it's a trick or not, but I use a 5X diopter magnifying lamp for all my builds, made a big difference for me.