News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question about selling pedals

Started by electricb, December 02, 2011, 05:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electricb

I have a quick question for you DIY experts. I got into pedal building this summer largely by putting together an Aristocrat from Madbean and reading over information from this forum! I'm sure some of you can relate, but I went a little crazy. I got into etching and built about 10-15 pedals (e.g., Slow Loris, Sunking, Ego Driver, Rangemaster, Grapevine, etc.). Anyway, after doing this I realized I have way too many pedals and I'd like to sell some of them. Not for profit, but to recoup some of the money I have spent putting them together and unclutter my life a bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where the best place to sell them is? Obviously most people on this board would not be interested but what about Craigslist? Ebay? Other forums? Also, what is a good price? I was thinking about $40 + shipping would be reasonable. They are all clean builds with alpha pots, etc. but the enclosures are mostly unpainted.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips?

eldanko

$40 plus shipping is extremely reasonable, IMHO.  In fact, I'd consider picking up one or two myself! 

I, like you, don't build to sell - just sort of end up with too many.  I end up selling to friends or guys I play with before anyone else... after that, I'd actually see if there's a local guitar shop where you might be able to put them on consignment.  Gives guys a chance to try them out, and helps out a local biz...
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

jkokura

Try your guitarist friends first. Most guitarists I know love pedals, and cheap ones are always good. Good luck on ebay or craigslist though, I haven't found it easy to sell.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

sam_c

Quote from: jkokura on December 02, 2011, 05:55:39 PM
Try your guitarist friends first.

+1

Ive built a fatpants and egodriver so far, tried them out with an old bandmate to get his opinion and he was so impressed I now need to build 2 of anything I order.  If a guitarist you know is into high end pedals, Im sure they would jump at the chance to pick up some reasonably priced clones...even if it is just to try them out.   The price of some boutique/vintage pedals still astounds me, yet I know people who buy them blind just to see if they like them. 

TNblueshawk

From what I've seen I'd see what you could sell on some DIY sites. I know it is selling ice to eskimos as they say, but I see pedals move. And if you are in the less than $50 range that is right up a starving musicians alley  :o

In addition to here, try the BYOC sell lounge.
John

LaceSensor

what everyone else said really.

I did get lucky and sell a Lovetone Big Cheese that I cloned for £70 odd on ebay (think thats about $130 these days) and that was unfinished silver box.

Obviously decals or a sprayjob make things more appealing.
However, I would suggest selling on the regular DIY boards you regularly see stuff move along, especially at the prices you are suggesting.

electricb

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. I have posted an ad in the Buy & Sell forum (with terrible pictures) so please take look if you are interested.