News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

EHX Q-tron

Started by Thewintersoldier, August 16, 2020, 02:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

How come the big box Q-tron is not something I see as a project anywhere? Is it in the shadows of the mutron III? I know I've read how it's based on the mutron and I think by the same designer as well. To me  it sounds thicker and with a smoother top end. Close but a different flavor. Maybe Lectric should do one as they are like "THE" EHX guys. What say scruffie and keef? You can take my money now.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

jjjimi84

I would be all about this, I think I had one about 15 years ago and it had a weird power supply, 24v? Does that sound about right? Anything that quacks is always a worthwhile build.

Scruffie

You flatter us ;D

Apart from the 'Mix' mode, switched gain control, an input buffer and one filtering cap in the envelope detector, it really is just a Mutron III though...

Quote from: jjjimi84 on August 16, 2020, 02:47:09 PM
I would be all about this, I think I had one about 15 years ago and it had a weird power supply, 24v? Does that sound about right? Anything that quacks is always a worthwhile build.
Yeah, 24V regulated to 18V, just a single supply instead of the originals split rail.
Works at Lectric-FX

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Scruffie on August 16, 2020, 02:50:47 PM
You flatter us ;D

Apart from the 'Mix' mode, switched gain control, an input buffer and one filtering cap in the envelope detector, it really is just a Mutron III though...

Yeah, 24V regulated to 18V, just a single supply instead of the originals split rail.
So is that a no? Lol Brian did discontinue the naughty fish so there is a hole to fill!

Who the hell is Bucky?

benny_profane

Check out the VFE Mini Mu if you haven't already.

jimilee

Quote from: benny_profane on August 16, 2020, 09:56:41 PM
Check out the VFE Mini Mu if you haven't already.
This, just built one, nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

Probably because EHX sometimes seem to have done more pedal variants than Boss. (I know... but it does seem like it.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Thewintersoldier

You flatter us ;D

So if I made a mutron and nixed the gain control and mix mode, made the few component value changes I would have a Q-tron?

Who the hell is Bucky?

Scruffie

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on August 17, 2020, 12:12:47 PM
You flatter us ;D

So if I made a mutron and nixed the gain control and mix mode, made the few component value changes I would have a Q-tron?

Pretty much, all the filter values and envelope detector values are identical between the two, sticking a generic op amp buffer in front will probably get you all the way there, I imagine the "smoother top end" is just because the gain pot is no longer loading down the guitar.
Works at Lectric-FX

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Scruffie on August 17, 2020, 12:20:20 PM
You flatter us ;D

Pretty much, all the filter values and envelope detector values are identical between the two, sticking a generic op amp buffer in front will probably get you all the way there, I imagine the "smoother top end" is just because the gain pot is no longer loading down the guitar.
I'm gonna do it because why not. The biggest change on the schematic I see it the gain and peak pots are 150k linear, so it just has less range on the pots? Could that be why it seems smoother on the top and fatter?

Who the hell is Bucky?

dan.schumaker

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on August 17, 2020, 04:06:43 PM
You flatter us ;D

I'm gonna do it because why not. The biggest change on the schematic I see it the gain and peak pots are 150k linear, so it just has less range on the pots? Could that be why it seems smoother on the top and fatter?

On the Naughty Fish, Brian has 250k pots, because 150k pots are really hard (near impossible) to find.  You can see that he has a 390k resistor in parallel across the Peak pot, so that simulates a 150k pot.  Similar things are done on Dyna-Comp pedals with an attack mod, that uses a 150k pot as well.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: dan.schumaker on August 17, 2020, 05:12:07 PM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on August 17, 2020, 04:06:43 PM
You flatter us ;D

On the Naughty Fish, Brian has 250k pots, because 150k pots are really hard (near impossible) to find.  You can see that he has a 390k resistor in parallel across the Peak pot, so that simulates a 150k pot.  Similar things are done on Dyna-Comp pedals with an attack mod, that uses a 150k pot as well.
Thanks Dan, I totally overlooked that.

Who the hell is Bucky?