News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedal Power Supply build

Started by nzCdog, November 23, 2011, 10:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzCdog

Well its been a while but finally got there... lil photo essay to follow. 

The schematic.  Based on the GGG Ultra Clean PSU, some schematics in the datasheet for the IC and a Geofex Spyder.  Read up quite a bit and decided to use LM317T rather than set value regulators.   I will use four of these isolated on one pcb and get 3-18Vish on each depending on what I need.

Eagle was tricky at first but I learned a lot through youtube and from forums.  Big thing was getting a decent library to use... thanks Madbean!  This is my first PCB design.

First pcb etch... tried a number of times, lil smudgy using toner transfer but all good.

The Board assembled.  Pretty tight on there, but some good heatsink action.  Had some freaky issue with one line which came down to a dud leaking electro.  Tested and good to go

Enclosure carefully drilled out

Assembled!  Tranny is a R-Core type for hifi.  Switch, fuse, EMI filter socket... separate ground lug for mains line.  Lots of starwashers and tight bolts!  AC secondary wires twisted to reduce interference.  Top black cover also earthed through the mounting screws.  Careful first test using RCD and adjust each line for required volts.  Set for 9,9, 12 and 12.6

The end! :D
Also see for more info here

jimmybjj

Terrific, great work. Nice and clean just over all great job.
Pcbs no longer available

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

mjcyates

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

dwstanford

Thats incredible!  I love that case.  Where did you get it?  It would be good for a set top style rangemaster or a mic pre also.

nzCdog

Thanks guys!  ;D

Quote from: dwstanford on November 24, 2011, 04:16:48 AM
Thats incredible!  I love that case.  Where did you get it?  It would be good for a set top style rangemaster or a mic pre also.
I got the case from jaycar here in NZ...  http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productResults.asp?MID=1&SSUBID=745&SUBCATID=987&keyform=CAT2#1

TNblueshawk

Wow that is fantastic man. I'm green with envy.
John

nzCdog

stecykmi

Very nice, any idea how much current can sink? It's probably limited by the voltage regulator.

nzCdog

Thanks Misha :)

The secondary ratings are on that sticker you can see on the transformer... 18V 0.6A x2 and 12V 0.35A x2
It's a 220V transformer, but I'm running it at 240V here in NZ so I'm getting higher secondary Volts, around 24 & 16VAC. (Even higher VDC after the rectifiers)

The LM317T regulators I chose do up to 1.5A each so the transformer would be the limiting factor for current I guess, tho I don't imagine running it hot using my pedalboard.  I have the mains fused for 2.5A which is probably a little too high... I'll think I'll use a 2A fuse instead, which is about the total current this transformer is rated for.

cjkbug

very nice clean build...very professional
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

nzCdog

DuctTapeRiot

Nice work! I want to tackle this with the 8 secondary transformer from Webber.  Do you have a link to the Eagle library you found?

nzCdog

Thanks man.  Good luck with the Weber tranny, love to see it when you finish! :)

For anybody trying this project, PLEASE take care is all I ask, obviously dealing with a mains powered chassis like this presents SERIOUS hazards!

Aziltz (who uses the same avatar as you, DuctTapeRiot... I had to double take for a minute) is working on a fabbed board specifically for the weber tranny which may interest you also... see this thread

There's also an eagle thread on the forum too which is full of good tips.

As for libraries, I was very grateful to get a copy of Brian's Libraries and also Gaussmarkov's Libraries