News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

4 in 1 Bean and GCXF

Started by Droogie, January 17, 2014, 06:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Droogie

I whipped this up to take on a regular gig to beef up my tele sound. Madbean's Spackler (wired true bypass) ----> GCFX Rotten Comp ----> ZP Micro with Depth and Rate controls ----> Tenebrion. I had built a Fat Control on vero previously,  and the Spackler definitely improves on the original. The circuit can really take the tele into humbucker territory. I was curious to try the Rotten Comp and it doesn't disappoint—great balance between noticeable squish and transparency. Plus, the Bloom control can add a little hair if needed. The ZP Micro is a re-house and the Tenebrion is a favorite for it's versatility. All topped off by a little vero action for +9 and ground. I run this into a Swart 5w SpaceTone (Champ w/ tone control, basically). Went with black knobs for the ZP to avoid confusion since  the layout is tight. Looks a bit wonky to me and I might swap out for white.  Box is PPP matte blue metallic.

If it looks like the effect order is backwards in the box (left to right), it is. It sits on the amp behind me at the gig at about waist height and this configuration keeps the cord from the guitar out of the way. At least that's my story.  ;)
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

DutchMF

Cool build man! If my handwriting was as nice as yours, I would be using nothing but paintpens. And the bit of strip board is a great idea!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GrindCustoms

That is one nice box of tones! 8)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

selfdestroyer

Its got it all...in one box even.. great build.

lincolnic

Droogie

Thanks guys. And thanks to everyone who puts out such great boards!

GrindCustoms

I got a question about the order you've put the effect in if it's ok with you.

Did you decided to put the Komp after the Drive because you've tested how they behaved prior to box them?

I always have my comps in front of everything because it's how i always had the best results but i'm now wondering if i have'nt missed something along the way.

Thanks

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Droogie

Quote from: GrindCustoms on January 18, 2014, 08:49:28 PM

Did you decided to put the Komp after the Drive because you've tested how they behaved prior to box them?

Yes. I've had those on one of my boards (different comp) in that order for a while. The unbuffered version of the Spackler just adds midrange more than drive—I use it more as a tone control. The buffered version will definitely get the amp to a subtle breakup though. I find Bean's added volume control really useful because I like to run the midboost full on without a radical change in overall volume.

pickdropper

There's a lot of flexibility in that box.  Great build.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper