News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Transistor orientation in Pepper Spray

Started by Bret608, October 20, 2011, 02:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Hi everybody,

I'm hoping to ask another pre-emptive question on my Pepper Spray project. Everyone here has been really helpful so far and I may yet be able to keep from having to post pics in Tech Help!

I can sort of tell what's what with the transistors on the schematic, but am having trouble translating that to the actual board layout, if that makes any sense. I got the 2N404A and 2N3565 from Small Bear but am having trouble telling which legs are E, B and C.

The 2N404A has green plastic at the base of two of the legs, but nothing else I can see right off that differentiates one from the other. The 2N3565 has one slightly flat side, but it doesn't correspond to any of the flat sides of the triangle. It's actually closest to one of the legs.

I've already got sockets in the board and will be able to test once I get things wired up this weekend. Just trying to save some hassle if possible! Any guidance that any of you can provide will be highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Bret

bigmufffuzzwizz

On all the 2n404's I have, the green plastic at the bottom covers all three leads. AFAIK the lead closest to the little tab will be the E, next to it B and then C. I couldn't find any datasheets with a definite answer for either one. On some other germ transistors I've used, the little red dot (if it has one) denotes the emitter.
Is the 3n3565 kinda look like a little button? If so the emitter should be the pin to the right of the flat side. There's a picture on this thread -->http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6675&sid=00b6fa07ca28c5002b01f94d53ba10e1&start=40
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Bret608

Thanks for reply! I will have to look at my 2n404 closer to see if there is a tab or dot. I found the same thing with the datasheets I saw via Google.

On the 2n3565--yes, it does look like a little button! So much so that I didn't notice that slightly flat side at first look. It looks exactly like the one in the Percolator thread you posted the link to. I'll remember to try out this orientation (emitter to right of flat side) when I socket it the for the first time.

Bret608

After about a month of having to put this off due to work travel, fun travel, etc., I finally managed to complete the PCB on this. Just wanted to say thanks to bigmufffuzzwhiz for the tips on the transistor orientation. The 2n404a did have a little tab, which matches up perfectly to the tab on the socket and on Brian's PCB. Also, I'm pretty sure I've got the 2n3565 facing the right way based on your description. Anyway, it's socketed too, so no worries. I won't know for sure until I do the final wiring over the holiday weekend, but I really appreciate your steering me in the right direction!

Cheers,

Bret