News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My phaser unicorn has appeared

Started by jimilee, December 17, 2019, 02:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Don't know exactly how this would work but it would be awesome to do a dual phaser like this with a third LFO that lets you pan the phasers across the two outputs. That would be some serious swirl.

jimilee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

lars

Quote from: thesmokingman on December 17, 2019, 09:56:02 PM
I notice harman is blowing out dod 250 reissues for $44 bucks and free 2 day air ...
Thanks for the heads up! That is a smokin' deal for one of the all-time great overdrives.
https://www.harmanaudio.com/guitar-bass-effects/DOD250-13.html

benny_profane

Quote from: madbean on December 19, 2019, 01:29:27 AM
Don't know exactly how this would work but it would be awesome to do a dual phaser like this with a third LFO that lets you pan the phasers across the two outputs. That would be some serious swirl.

Yo dawg, I heard you like phasers: so we put a phaser on two OTHER phasers so your phasers can phaser while you phaser!

The word 'phaser' no longer looks correct to me.

Aentons

Quote from: benny_profane on December 19, 2019, 02:15:40 AM

Yo dawg, I heard you like phasers: so we put a phaser on two OTHER phasers so your phasers can phaser while you phaser!

You'll have to start using 'phasor'

benny_profane

Quote from: Aentons on December 19, 2019, 05:16:49 AM
Quote from: benny_profane on December 19, 2019, 02:15:40 AM

You'll have to start using 'phasor'

Speaking of, Harman has the Phasor 201 (two stage JFET à la Phase 45) for sale and just added the DOD 440 reissue envelope filter. The 440 reissue isn't optical though, it's OTA-based—so it shares more in common with the FX-25 than the 440.

matmosphere

Excellent idea.

I believe that would have to be called a Photon Torpedo

benny_profane

Other possible names:

Xzibit Presents: Phaser
-or-
The Xzibition Phaser

(2xPhaser)2

Phase Singularity

jimilee

Phasosophy

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

Quote from: Matmosphere on December 19, 2019, 04:09:00 PM

Excellent idea.

Actually, I like that a lot!
After some more thought, I know how to do the panning part optically with dual vactrols but I'm not sure if there is an easier way. Anyway I don't want to derail this thread. Just piqued my interest.

benny_profane

Quote from: madbean on December 19, 2019, 04:40:59 PM

Excellent idea.

After some more thought, I know how to do the panning part optically with dual vactrols but I'm not sure if there is an easier way. Anyway I don't want to derail this thread. Just piqued my interest.

I’m totally interested in that solution. Could it be made into a stereo input 1590a? That’d be great!

EDIT: Could an LFO-driven mixer be used? I picked this up because if Jimi’s down with a phaser, you gotta respect. An add-on utility box following this would be pretty rad.

But yeah, seriously we’ve gotta get back to the question of SW5.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on December 19, 2019, 04:40:59 PM

Excellent idea.

Oh, we're way past that at this point, but I like where it's going.

madbean

Quote from: benny_profane on December 19, 2019, 04:51:10 PM

EDIT: Could an LFO-driven mixer be used? I picked this up because if Jimi's down with a phaser, you gotta respect. An add-on utility box following this would be pretty rad.

Yeah, that's what I would do. There's a little trick you can do with an LFO to create a mixing pan with vactrols. But, no easy way to control the amount of crossfade. That's where I'd have to put some thought into it. You want to be able to go from slow to hard pans. I'll see what I can come up with.

benny_profane

Quote from: madbean on December 19, 2019, 09:43:19 PM

EDIT: Could an LFO-driven mixer be used? I picked this up because if Jimi's down with a phaser, you gotta respect. An add-on utility box following this would be pretty rad.

Yeah, that's what I would do. There's a little trick you can do with an LFO to create a mixing pan with vactrols. But, no easy way to control the amount of crossfade. That's where I'd have to put some thought into it. You want to be able to go from slow to hard pans. I'll see what I can come up with.

If you wouldn't mind, that'd be great! It'd have use beyond this particular use case too. Cheers!

skyled

Quote from: madbean on December 19, 2019, 09:43:19 PM

Maybe the commonsound/4ms Stereo Panneur?
http://www.commonsound.com/kits/doku.php?id=commonsound:panneur

Also look at the commonsound Phaseur Moire, which has a main 6 stage phaser, an additional 2(?) stage phaser, and an additional LFO to modulate the the main phaser speed. Plenty of wackiness to be found. I wish somebody would make a complete vero layout of it  ;D
http://www.commonsound.com/kits/doku.php?id=commonsound:phaseur