News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ewe... stop looking at my boob(tube) :)

Started by jimmybjj, October 06, 2011, 09:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmybjj

Not happy with the wiring yet, But i wanted to get the build report out.  My wife was rushing my out of the garage today saying "you spend to much time out there" :) This project  came out pretty good, but next time i will locate the jacks closer to the switch. Still don't have a proper tube (anyone know a decent source for 12bh7's?) On board charge pump upto 35v with a 12v supply. Dormant orange.

Pcbs no longer available

jtn191

jkokura

Don't forget some ventilation for that tube...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimmybjj

Quote from: jkokura on October 06, 2011, 09:57:05 PM
Don't forget some ventilation for that tube...

Jacob

Doesn't seem to be a issue (yet). I have left the pedal on for a good while and the heat doesn't seem in excess. I do have a plan though in i do need ventilation, i might do it anyway in case someone else wants to do it.

An unexpected bonus is the led does light up the tube :)

Pcbs no longer available

JeffdaMaori

Excellent! Thanks for all the great work, also of course to Juansolo and everyone else who chipped in, what a cool project!
I'm itching to build one!
Cheers! ;D

juansolo

Cleggy's the main man for this. It was his idea, I just built it :)

Try and snag a RCA 12AU7A cleartop from ebay. It's the closest sounding thing we've found to the Brimar 12BH7 used in mine and what we'll probably be using in any more we build as the 12BH7s are not the easiest things in the world to snag for sensible money. The added bonus of the RCA is they draw about half the current for the heaters of the 12BH7 too, making the psu requirement not quite as steep.

How are you liking the pedal? We sent no2 off to a friend who's got a few amps to find his opinion. It seems quite amp dependent. On my single channel 5W 6v6 Goldstar and Cleggy's 10W EL84 it's absolutely brilliant. It turns his into a hot-rodded marshall a-like and mine it adds a much needed crunch channel to as it's mostly a clean amp. I suspect it'd also be quite suited other single channel, low wattage amps or very clean stuff (like fenders) where it'll push them into a very natural tube overdrive. The big gigable stuff our friend found it's less effective on. Mainly because it sounds so much like the amp's internal crunch circuits so isn't really neccessary. It also compresses the hell out of the Jet City Cleggy has. Strangely it worked better on a Bogner than it did on a JTM45 clone. Odd that, and most unexpected. Gotta suck it and see I suppose, because if the amp likes it, IMO it makes all other overdrives redundant.

I love it. It's in permenant place as the last pedal before my Goldstar.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

nzCdog

Dang that's awesome!  Great layout and great build Jim!  8)

jimmybjj

Pcbs no longer available

bigmufffuzzwizz

You've really perfected your powdercoating! There must be a coat of clear over the orange cause the dormant is dull by itself right?
I love this project, your guts inside are extremely neat. I think its only gonna get better from here  ;)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jimmybjj

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on October 08, 2011, 06:53:53 PM
You've really perfected your powdercoating! There must be a coat of clear over the orange cause the dormant is dull by itself right?
I love this project, your guts inside are extremely neat. I think its only gonna get better from here  ;)

Thanks. There is a clear coat but the orange in my opinion looks pretty descent even without the clear but i want the decals covered.
Pcbs no longer available