News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help finding Lado guts

Started by gordo, July 22, 2018, 01:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

I have an old 77 Lado Falcon F-1.  I've replaced the pickups already.  The originals were destroyed by 5 years on the road and sweating on it 6 nights a week/50 weeks a year.  The electronics onboard are an active version of the BCRich varitone and a similar preamp, all 9V powered.  The pre pooped out ages ago and the varitone is on the fritz.  They've literally disintegrated and are gooped so I can tell what's in them.

I believe they were made by Farr in Toronto.  The preamp has no markings but the varitone is called an Active Tone Modifier.

Has anyone seen schematics for either of these?  The preamp was fairly crappy sounding but the ATM sounded great!  Is Farr still around?  Calls to Lado have not proven to be any help as Joe's about done.

Thanks for any help.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

stringsthings

Hadn't heard of Lado until you posted.  Nice basses.

I don't know where to find either schem but I bet you can find some good pre's on alembics, warwicks, or even kiesel/carvins.
Also, the pre in the G&L L2000 is simply outstanding.  ( i need to clone that someday )
Maybe you can clean off the goop to spot the IC's/transistors ?
All You Need Is Love

gordo

Wow, the story has a happy ending.  I got a bit creative with Google search terms and lo and behold Tony Farr has relocated to Bathurst, New Brunswick.  I'm talking to him about recreating the boards and also about his new amplifier.  His web site is a work in progress which made locating him a bit tough.

I'll post pics of my refurbed Lado Falcon F-1 when completed and hoping to load the circuit into my Lado Falcon FS-1 (the strat version).  The FS-1 is ultra rare and routed for humbuckers long ago and retrofitted with a Floyd Rose so it's ultra destroyed in value.  Great players, though...both of them.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?