News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

4P3T how it works? Multiplex Echo or any other builds

Started by fair.child, April 06, 2018, 09:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fair.child

Hello MBP fellows,

I just finished a multiplex echo including with the modulation mod from 1776 Effects. Great pedal and fun to play. However, I do have a question regarding how the switch works.

I bought the 4P3T from small bear and eBay. When I got them, I checked that it does 3 turns only and yes it did. I cut the tab on the switch while I'm boxing and soldered the pins. I wired everything up and tried to turn the switch.

Here's the funny thing. It gives me 12 turns click. It doesn't make any sense for me and I decided to keep going and wired everything. I finished and tried all the mods. Those three modes are working, only left one thing. It does 12 turns, not 3 turns.

I wonder what did I do wrong? From the build doc, it also suggests to cut the tab on the  4P3T. Does the tab matter to stop the switch from getting more than 3 turns?

Is there any way to alter the mechanic of 4P3T switch?

mjg

If you take the washer off, you will see it has a little bent bit of metal that fits into slots around the top of the switch.  That's what controls the number of positions. 

It's easy for that to pop out, especially if the nut isn't tight enough to hold the washer in position, or the washer might have rotated around as you were working?

So yes, you can alter the number of positions on those switches, by moving the washer.  That's what I've seen on the 4p3t rotary switches I've used, your result may vary. :)

fair.child

Quote from: mjg on April 06, 2018, 09:57:53 PM
If you take the washer off, you will see it has a little bent bit of metal that fits into slots around the top of the switch.  That's what controls the number of positions. 

It's easy for that to pop out, especially if the nut isn't tight enough to hold the washer in position, or the washer might have rotated around as you were working?

So yes, you can alter the number of positions on those switches, by moving the washer.  That's what I've seen on the 4p3t rotary switches I've used, your result may vary. :)

Ah, now it starts make sense. Thank you! So, another question, if I do want to make it tight, should I put the washer inside the enclosure or outside the enclosure?

bsoncini

Quote from: fair.child on April 06, 2018, 10:45:36 PM
Quote from: mjg on April 06, 2018, 09:57:53 PM

Ah, now it starts make sense. Thank you! So, another question, if I do want to make it tight, should I put the washer inside the enclosure or outside the enclosure?

Put it on the inside. Tape it down with electrical or painters tape so it doesn't move while assembling.