News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cupcake Diode/Op-Amp Substitution

Started by ddog, August 21, 2021, 09:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddog

I'm building a Cupcake (2016 PCB, not the 2020 version) and I have a question about substituting the diodes. I currently have a 1N34 (not 1N34A) and a BAT41. Can I use either? Which one is more recommended? I read midwayfair's post that the diode just affects the compression (https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=21345.0). Madbean recommends the BAT46.

As far as I know the approximate forward voltages are:
1n314a is around 0.21
1n314 is ?
BAT41 is around 0.36
BAT46 is around 0.25
1N60P is around 0.33

is there any significant "auditory" compression differences between them? Is it higher forward voltage = more compression?

With Op-Amps, I have both a 4558 and a TL072. Is there any advantages with sticking to the 4558?

Thanks for your help!

Zerro

Better are diodes with lower Uf, but such a big difference between your listed ones, is not. You can use all of them.

TL072 is low noise, low harmonics distorion and J-Fet input opamp. If you have this, it will be better if you will use it instead 4558.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

gordo

Either way all will work.  34 is 34A for all intensive purposes and the original Orange Squeezer was noisy.  Socket the diode and the IC if you can and play around with different combos.  The circuit is very forgiving and you're likely to find a combination that suits your needs.  This one is a low parts count/low headache effect and in it's most basic form STILL sounds great.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Zerro

That's the best thing about this stuff - to play around settings looking the best sound. Tuning - that's this fun :@)
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

ddog

Thanks everyone, I went with the 1n34 with the tl072. It is a sweet sounding circuit ;D