News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Slow Loris/RAT-mod

Started by PerS, September 24, 2011, 02:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerS

Hi
Turn to you as you are my knowledge base...

I run into this mod made by SoulSonic, http://soulsonic1978.tripod.com/illuminist/, for a RAT/Slow Loris.
Has anyone tried this and if so how was it? Will it still sound like a RAT?

My RAT is a bit muddy, would like it to clean it up a bit. But don't want to loose to much of the RAT-signature.

Thanks/ Per
//Per

bigmufffuzzwizz

It seems like your on the right track for what your looking for..Here's in the first paragraph:

"A big change is in the compensation cap - the Rat traditionally has an oversized compensation cap which cuts the highs and causes a strange slewing distortion. I changed it to a much lower value - only 2.5pF - and the result is a much more open top end, and I was glad to hear that it can still get that signature Rat slewing distortion, it just has a different tone to it."

The cap he's talking about is on the first op-amp connecting between pin 8 and pin 1. Lower from 50pf to something small like his suggested 2.5pf. The distortion will act the same just have a different tone to it which is what it seems you want.

Also the second mod he suggests, changing the 2.7uf cap on the high frequency side of the gain knob to a lower value will reduce the mush, which I'm taking as your mud. Give em a try, if you don't like it change it back!  :)

I'd also look into the lube mod and the four knob rat on beavis audio.

Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

PerS

Thanks for the answer bigmufffuzzwizz. Yes, exactly. That was what caught my interest. Have seen a lot of mod's on the RAT, but this was a bit more radical. However, I have never seen anyone who tried the SoulSonic mod or heard a demo of it.
I am asking because I do not want to undress my RAT from its basic sound, I really like my RAT. Accept the theory completely, it make sense. Will check the beavis mod to but I think at least parts of it is what I seen earlier, basically on the same track - to change the filter fq range. Someone actually just cut the 470R resistor out... Will be some more testing.
I have already got the components to make the modification, but it's the lazy part of me that asks the question, to do it right the first time...
Is also going to do some more clipping option, but that is "easier" to do and a different story.

Thanks //Per
//Per