News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

High Gain PCB recommendation

Started by Marshall Arts, January 28, 2018, 09:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Quotewhat, no tight metal? morpheus? riot? 5150? krank?

Haven't gotten around to them yet!  I forgot about the Box of Rock too.  That's not bad, but I didn't gel with it.

blearyeyes

I just finished a Tight Metal that Brejna did a while back. Have not boxed it yet but having a gate built into the pedal works great as far as I can tell.  Loads of gain and a way to use it without all the noise.  Looks like future fun for Blearyeyes coming up.

Andlord

As far as high gain pedals goes it does not get much better than the BE OD(dirty sanchez might even be better) or the Diezel VH4 imho. Both are a bit noisy thou.

Also really good sounding: tripple wreck/mudflap and of course various hm2 style pedals. Also really noisy

somnif

The Scottish fellow from those videos I posted is actually a fan of the EHX Metal Muff, surprisingly. Its apparently clone-ish of the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, with a re-jiggered EQ section and less hiss/noise. (If metal-ly style leads are what you're looking for in a uber-gain pedal)

I've found one homebrew PCB eagle file for the pedal, though its not pretty (its got some rather goofy "over the board" jumpers going on) but it looks functional. I can post them here if you wish. Here is the dudes review of the thing:

edit:
(bleh, never mind on the homebrew, apparently its fairly different from the stock pedal. Can still post the files if wanted but he stripped the buffer and doubled up the mids control to complicate matters)

Marshall Arts

Thanks... Dont need the files, I guess, given the sheer amount of suggestions above... Off breadboading till 2020 :-)

JackSkellington

I built a Triple Wreck clone, and it works fine even for hard rock (it depends from your guitar). You can replace the original booster with a MXR Micro amp circuit for a real gain booster and not a fuzzy booster like the original one.

Maybe a cheap used MT-2, but the mod is really recommended.

I planned to build the Tight Metal, no eq, but you can find the mod replace the trash switch with a pot for more versatility.

I would like more information about the Mudflap, I don't know it and I can't find it. :o
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

Willybomb

The Mudflap is Frag Magnet's take on the Triple Wreck, using a clean tubescreamer (tone is a trimmer) as the boost.

You can find more info on it in the Upper Decker thread:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=8214.msg184959#msg184959

JackSkellington

Thank you! It seems cool. I have both the pedals.
I always thought that the Tube Screamer can boost well anything.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

blearyeyes

Just fired up the Tight Metal and was not very impressed. I watched a demo last night of a pedal that got that upper mid tone and tightened up the entire signal. This does a decent approximation of a metal "style' sound and is a good pedal but not very authentic at least with my lowly amp. I tried it with my not very played 8 string (which needs strings) that has Seymour Duncan Nasgul and Sentient PUs so I guess that would have sort of told the story. I am by no means an authority on metal tone but I have a good idea as my son is a very good metal aficionado among other things.

somnif

Well, if you have a cheap amp and want to go Metal, you could always clone up an HM-2 and dime everything. Run it into a cheap solid state amp with its gain max clockwise and the EQ tickled to decency and you could get a good Swedish death metal tone (for certain definitions of "Good"). Basically listen to Entombed's "Left Hand Path" for the sound it can make.

Not my cup of tea but those crazy swedes love that black and orange box of razorblades.

blearyeyes

Well I have a Vox AC-15HW with Alnico Blue and  Bugera V22. I could spend the time to try but not too motivated. I've heard a ton of great metal from sharing with my kid Andy. Is Mashugga still the OG standard? It's all for fun anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk