Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Glitteratti fizz or breakup sound on trails

Started by rullywowr, September 11, 2011, 04:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

Hello,

(1) Project Name: Glitterrattii
(2) General description of the problem:  When sustaining a note, there is this weird breaking up (speaker blown) kind of decay sound.  It is most prominent when playing a soft passage or when you turn your volume down on guitar and let note ring out.  Other than this, the overdrive sounds great.  Has a LOT of volume and gain on tap
(3) Steps that you have taken to try to resolve the issue:  Checked values, wondering if a faulty/mismatched transistor or IC may be causing this?
(4) List any substitutions you used for parts/values:  (none)

Thanks in advance.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

oldhousescott

If you used sockets for the ICs and/or transistors, make sure the components are well seated in the sockets and no bent-under legs on the ICs. Can you post voltages for the IC pins?

jkokura

Its possible that it's the IC or transistor. Do you know how to take DC readings on your transistors and IC? If you can do that and post the results that may tell us something.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

rullywowr

I appreciate the help guys however I found it.  In the hopes that someone else may search someday and have a similar issue - it was loose pot wires where they meet the board.  I think used too big a drill bit on this particular PCB while I was waiting for replacements.  I bet it was sympathetic noise induced by the vibrations of my "rocking before boxing".

Needless to say - now I am extra careful, i use 0.8 mm (as I do for everything) and secure the 22AWG Teflon Silver with a few dabs of hot glue for extra security.  If the wire doesn't go into the pcb, I take it by hand and use the bit to carefully enlarge the hole just so the wire is a snug fit.

gtr2

Quote from: rullywowr on September 14, 2011, 05:02:54 AM
I appreciate the help guys however I found it.  In the hopes that someone else may search someday and have a similar issue - it was loose pot wires where they meet the board.  I think used too big a drill bit on this particular PCB while I was waiting for replacements.  I bet it was sympathetic noise induced by the vibrations of my "rocking before boxing".

Needless to say - now I am extra careful, i use 0.8 mm (as I do for everything) and secure the 22AWG Teflon Silver with a few dabs of hot glue for extra security.  If the wire doesn't go into the pcb, I take it by hand and use the bit to carefully enlarge the hole just so the wire is a snug fit.

I don't understand your resolution.  Poorly soldered joints can cause this problem.  It's not a matter of pcb hole size.  There really shouldn't be any need to hot glue your wires if you have a solid joint.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

rullywowr

Too large holes put extra stress on what little pad traces are left leading to poor connection and eventually breakage when stuffing in the box.  Just gotta use the correct size holes and life is good.

bigmufffuzzwizz

I've been doing the hot-glue thing recently as I've bought some pretty weak ribbon wire. The stuff keeps breaking from just the weight of the pots, but hot-glue has helped to keep it right in place. The main reason I'm using that stuff is I know I can easily pull it off if it ever needs to happen.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

gtr2

Quote from: rullywowr on September 14, 2011, 12:05:33 PM
Too large holes put extra stress on what little pad traces are left leading to poor connection and eventually breakage when stuffing in the box.  Just gotta use the correct size holes and life is good.

Ah, I understand.  I didn't realize that because of the large drilled holes you had very little pad left to solder to.  That makes more sense.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

rullywowr

I agree, a little dab of hot glue by the board and next to large caps etc is a nice finishing touch and makes the final product that much more resistant to getting thrown around.