News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Xotic RC and AC booster issues

Started by studiodunn, December 20, 2017, 06:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studiodunn

A friend of mine asked me to fix these for him. They had the typical broken FS.

So I replaced the switch on the AC and tested it. The pedal wasn't working right still. The volume was low and the gain pot only made it worst when turned up.
I check voltages and they weren't right. Pin 7 was very high and the the rest weren't consistent. So I pulled the IC1 (4558D?) and replaced it with a TL072, plugged in and all is well.
Pedal fixed!

On to the RC. I start with the switch and go straight to voltages. They are off just like the AC, so I plug it in assuming it wont work - and it doesn't. No sound or adjustment at all. I replace IC1 and crap.....no sound. I probe the board and have signal all the way to the jack. I A/B the probe signal with the working AC and they are the same. But still no output from the RC.
I start comparing values and continuity with the AC and the RC gain pot is only showing 39k when maxed. It should be somewhere around 547k. R5 and R6 are correct and don't test as doing anything strange. I also tested the gain pot and it is fine.

So seeing as both pedals had cooked Op Amps I'm assuming maybe they were fed too much voltage. Could I have cooked diodes as well and would that cause my gain to be stuck so low?

gordo

Transistors are good?  Thanks for the gut shots.  I didn't realize that Xotic gooped their boards.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

studiodunn

Quote from: gordo on December 21, 2017, 12:43:05 AM
Transistors are good?  Thanks for the gut shots.  I didn't realize that Xotic gooped their boards.
Transistors tested good, but I had continuity between pin 1&2. I pulled the socket cleaned the pads, added a new socket and all is fixed. Must have had a flake of something bridging across.

Rockhorst

Too much voltage would likely blow out capacitors first (unless they have high rated ones in there). Wrong polarity is also an instant IC killer, more so than a transistor killer.