News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wiring - short direct runs vs. longer neat runs.

Started by keysandguitars, September 13, 2011, 04:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keysandguitars

As I've been wiring up my first few projects, i've been trying to make my wiring as neat as possible, but have been running short and direct wires to and from the jacks to the switch, LED, etc. I assumed that a shorter run would mean less signal interference.

I've seen a lot of your builds that look like artwork, how neatly the wiring is done, often running the length of the enclosure, neatly bent etc. Does it also serve a functional purpose (being able to pull the pcb without removing the pots, switch etc. in the event of component failure down the road)? In a project this small will an extra 1"-3" of wiring make the circuit that much more susceptible to noise, or is the difference negligible?

TIA, Brandon
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

jkokura

In some cases it doesn't make a difference at all to have an extra inch or so to make a wire path neater. In some cases it does.

I use the shortest amount of wire possible while maintaining a neat and clean pedal interior. The short path is just electronic wisdom - electrons like short paths. The neat path makes for an easier to work with and trouble shoot pedal - makes me happy if I have to fix it.

The 'prettyness' is just a by product for me.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

dwstanford

Yeah, i think alot of us are o.c.d. by nature or as jacob said, neat because it makes it easier to track down and fix issues when you dont have to sort through a rat's nest of wires and such.  I like to build fuzz pedals and i have noticed a difference in noise or interference on builds of the same exact type, but with neater wiring.  The difference is neglegible with fuzz pedals though, because they are designed to destroy your signal and boost the shit out of it and so forth.  You wouldnt want it to sound pretty or hi-fi.  But with a clean boost or overdrive, you might want it to be very quiet.  I get more o.c.d with component selection than with wiring,  if i sub a cheapo part, i will convince myself that i can hear a difference.  Its all bullshit most of the time, but it doesnt stop me from worrying about it.

keysandguitars

Quote from: dwstanford on September 13, 2011, 07:21:40 PM
Its all bullshit most of the time, but it doesnt stop me from worrying about it.

Lmao, that's me in a nutshell. Thanks guys.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!