News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Etching in Winter

Started by jonrhee, December 06, 2011, 04:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonrhee

I recently started etching my own PCB's and I'm really digging it but it's getting to be pretty cold and I'm finding it difficult to etch in a ventilated but still warm environment. Any tips for etching in cold weather? How do you ventilate while etching?

stecykmi

I know some people fix an incandescent bulb over their etching containers even in warm weather.

jonrhee

I guess one of my bigger concerns is the fumes. Are the fumes put off by Ferric Chloride visible, and would they have an odour? I had my windows open and I don't think I could smell anything except my rubber gloves. In the future will probably just be doing it all outside but I was just curious? I'm using the sponge method which I would think makes everything a little safer, at least using less FeCl.

keysandguitars

I've been using ammonium persulphate since the beginning and have no complaints. It's far less caustic than ferric chloride. I mix up enough to do a couple batches and store it in a 2 liter plastic bottle. To use:
heat up water in a pot
-pour ammonium persulphate in a plastic container (i use a cool whip plastic tub)
-set said container into the heated water (it needs heat to activate etchant)
-put your pcb's in and gently agitate until it's etched.
-remove from heat, fill the container with cold water to deactivate the etchant and flush it down the toilet.

I don't even wear gloves or a mask, just turn on my range vent and that's it. If this sounds crazy, I place all blame on chromesphere, as this is what he taught me. Really though, it works great and is super easy to work with...and I don't freeze my ass off.

This is the stuff http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/410.html s
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

jonrhee

That's awesome. I will definitely be trying that out.