News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Os Mutantes - Completed build #3 of 13

Started by chromesphere, September 11, 2011, 12:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

This ones the last one for a while, the fuzzydice (deadpool).  Not sure what a 'fuzzydice' has to do with it...I used 2n3904's instead of 2n3565 as i couldnt get a hold of any.  I might end up doing a video of this one as there doesnt seem to be much on youtube.  A wild and crazy fuzz.  I find it needs some time and patience before you start hearing the beauty of the effect.  
Thanks for looking!
Paul

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

shawnee

Top notch! Where did you get those knobs? Those are super cool. I'm going to have to try to make decals soon. You guys all make such pro stuff. Did you intentionally blur the word "Fuzzy" or is it my eyes playing tricks on me?

dwstanford

I love this circuit and yours is a great looking example of it.  I initially wanted to build this pedal cause i wanted to sound like os mutantes, then i realized no one can sound like os mutantes.  It sounds great though.  Not at all what i expected, but then again, it is one of many circuits built for the mutantes. 

+1 on the knobs.  Theyre awesome.

jimmybjj

Nice looking pedal. I like the graphics. Is that hotglue on the board, strain relief?
Pcbs no longer available

chromesphere

Thanks guys,
The knobs are from Jaycar (aust retailer).  Not sure if you can get them overseas, dont think i have seen them online before...They are pricey at $2.40 each, but i keep going back to them because they are just high quality.  They are quite heavy and just feel nice, the grub screw moves in and out smoothly as well. Oh, of course, Jaycar has an online store if you really wanted to order some:

black:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HK7009&keywords=knob&form=KEYWORD

Silver:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HK7020&keywords=knob&form=KEYWORD

The word "fuzzy" is indeed fuzzy. Motion blur effect in adobe fireworks.  Kind of looks like the camera's out of focus in the photo :)

You are correct Jimmy, it is hotglue.  Whenever i finish a build (and its working properly) i hotglue all the cables on the board.  This prevents the wires inside the cable from breaking. It is an imperative step imo...

Shawnee, i dont know what skill level your at but we all start somewhere.  Heres a photo of my first build (about 3 years ago).  Its the NPN booster from DIYSB forum.  I wont show you the inside!  My god...!  :o actually i should take a photo of the inside for a laugh. lol
i've kept it the way i first built it, as a reminder of how my skillz have progressed.

shawnee

My first two builds were the spackler and fatpants in 1590A enclosures so I think I have been through the worst of it already. I haven't done any painting, drilling or decals yet though. If I can get Pedal Parts Plus to custom paint AND drill an enclosure for under ten bucks I will probably just leave it to them. I can drill if I need to but I have no desire to paint. Decals are another story though. I think that's what makes a pedal look pro so I will have to do it eventually. Right now I'm trying to understand what I am building more than anything else. I have a pretty good understanding of individual components but understanding the circuits is beyond me right now. I have learned a little thanks to some great people here and a few other sites.

chromesphere

I have a drill press and enough experience now to drill my own enclosures so that part of the process is ok for me, i totally agree on painting them though. Its a PITA.  The metallic effect paint (glittery stuff) is easy to use, i'd have no problem pianting with that, but the enamels are messy and the end result is never good enough (imo). And so time consuming!  sand it, prime it, come back in 24 hours, spray it with enamel, come back 24 hours, again, and again...or pay $2.50...?  A decent can of spray paint costs 10 bucks + sand paper + primer...not worth the stuffing around if you ask me...

I have some electronics knowledge / experience but am still not able to break the 'builder' || 'electronics engineer' barrier.  I think its the abstruct mathematics that kills it for me evertime.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Great choice, I don't see enough of these. The decals look great too! That's something I gotta get down one day. Your the one who uses the hotglue to keep the wires in place and add support! I recently bought some cheap ribbon wire (on accident!!) and ended up gooping w/ hot glue to keep them from breaking off every time they bent. I wish there was a neater solution, but at least the hot glue can be removed if it had to be!!
I also wanted to ask how it sounds? Especially with the 2n3904's. Is it still pure bliss??
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

chromesphere

I also use hot glue (or shrink wrap) around the led leads, to stop the leads from shorting.  These days its more shrink wrap actually.  Infact, i've started using shrinkwrap on the pot leads as well.  Incase a pot comes a bit loose and rotates, shorting out on the metal enclosure. The glue gun takes a bit of getting used too, im getting better with it.  I find it less messy if you wait 5-10 mins for it to heat up and the glue is runnier.

Oh yeah, and some of that red 3M double sided spongey tape stuff, underneath the jacks, again, in case they rotate.  The tape will stop the lugs from shorting on the enclosure.

I've been trying to improve the longevity of my builds lately, in small ways like these.