News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Diy power supply/regulator vs manufactured

Started by jehern, October 20, 2017, 02:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jehern

I'm having some noise issues with some pedals, some high pitched whistling. I think it's a hum issue that some regulating would fix. I don't really want to invest in an isolated power supply just yet so I looked up some possible remedies.
Chromesohere from diy guitar peds had some interesting stuff up. One was the power pellet, which was like a filter with an inductor inside. Another thing he recommended was building the regulated power supply from tonepad.

They look pretty simple, so my question is, are they pretty similar to the types of circuits used in those cheap chinese power supplies? I know they're not the same as a real iso supply but they do have some stuff in the guts to help with filtering.  Can someone who knows more about this stuff let me know if it's worth the effort to build my own. If it's basically the same as these other supplies, I'd rather just buy a cheap one for 20 or 40 bucks and save the hassle and spend my time on more pedal builds.
Here are a couple gut shots I found of some power supplies along with a very layout of the power pellet. I'd probably build the pellet first since I'm pretty new and not comfortable with the power supply layouts I've found. https://m.imgur.com/a/KRpVo

Leevibe

Regulating the voltage won't fix the squeal. I would recommend not building a power supply unless you just want the challenge/fun of the build, which is a totally valid reason to do it by the way. I've built a transformer based, filtered, regulated power supply. It was a fun, satisfying build but totally not cost effective. Haha. There are some pretty awesome PSUs for really good prices these days.

jehern

Hm, thanks.  I'm just going by some videos that chromesphere posted that seemed to show a similar noise being smoothed out by the regulator.  Any ideas on what you think the problem is then?

Leevibe

Quote from: jehern on October 20, 2017, 01:48:58 PM
Hm, thanks.  I'm just going by some videos that chromesphere posted that seemed to show a similar noise being smoothed out by the regulator.  Any ideas on what you think the problem is then?

Well, I trust chromesphere. I'm not sure what regulator circuit you're looking at, but it sounds like there is some good filtering involved. looking at the power supply project on tonepad, it's a pretty basic transformer based filter/regulator circuit. It has several taps but they are all bussed together. That may or may not be better than what you already have.

Are you experiencing the noise when you have particular pedals together in your chain or are you experiencing it with single pedals in isolation? Digital pedals and time based effects are often culprits because they generate a clock signal that can fight with the clocks in switching power supplies or even with the clocks in other pedals. It might be worth it to swap things around and try to isolate exactly where the problem is.

There are people here far more knowledgeable than me on this stuff, so take anything I say with a grain of salt. :)

jehern

I don't have many digital pedals, just a zoom g3 and an ehx m9. I'm pretty sure it's coming mostly from a few pedals, 2 diy pedals and a joyo voodoo fuzz. Someone on another forum suggested putting a 100r resisted in the power line, I'll try that. I posted in a few areas and barely anyone has responded. I guess I'll just have to try a little of everything. Can't hurt to have a power supply instead of endless daisy chains even if it doesn't reduce the sound much.

chromesphere

Be careful putting 100r in line with power, depending on how many pedals you are powering could burn out if you are using 1/4w and also a voltage drop. I would an inductor instead as you wont have these issues.

For the squeal still could be power supply.  I found my power supply noise was around 120hz.  A power supply filter ("huminator" by beavis audio) cut out 80% but at loud volume it was still unacceptable.  A regulator cut out 99% so that's what I use today.

As lee said, you need to determine if the noise is being generated by the power supply or a particular pedal.  I find simple pedals usually pass noise (boosts, simple overdrives etc).  To make things even more confusing, some pedals include PS filtering and some don't.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

midwayfair

Quote from: chromesphere on December 03, 2017, 11:42:08 PM
Be careful putting 100r in line with power, depending on how many pedals you are powering could burn out if you are using 1/4w and also a voltage drop. I would an inductor instead as you wont have these issues.

Careful: inductors still have resistance and a wattage rating. 50R is not unheard of for cheap ones you might get from Tayda.

chromesphere

Oh yeah forgot about that jon cheers. I would still go with an inductor to avoid the voltage drop u get with the 100r resistor
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube