News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

George L's for patch cables

Started by keysandguitars, August 27, 2011, 06:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keysandguitars

I've been reading through the forum to get different opinions on patch cables. I was going through my gear closet and came across 30 feet of George L cable that I used to use as my fx loop cables. I quit using them for something else. Does anyone use George L without issue on their pedal board? My friend has used them for 5 years and tears down his pedal setup every gig. I've heard one give out once, but that's a fair amount of abuse. If I put my pedals on a pedal train and they're just sitting there should I be okay? I'd like to save money where I can...so I can buy a Timeline...no thanks to Brian's post. :P
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

greyscales

I've used George L's on my Pedaltrain boards for almost a year without any issues. I had one stop working, but I just trimmed off a bit of one end and it has been fine. As long as you aren't abusing them they should last for a long time. Always make sure that you are putting them together the right way, where you cut the end flush and push it all the way into the plug. People tend to get in a hurry building cables, and that tends to be the most common problem.

dwstanford

Ive used the george l's and planet waves cut to length cable.  I like both of them.  Ive had fewer issues with the george l's, but very minor issues with the planet waves.  Just a couple of shorts in patch cables, but i just cut another piece and im ready to go.

jkokura

I used lava cables for a while. They're great if you never change out pedals, but I prefer soldered cables because I switch out pedals too often. if you dont, I recommend the lava cables.

If you go soldered, I recommend Lava mini ELC and GLS pancake jacks.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

keysandguitars

Is the Lava mini cable very different from George L in terms of quality? I'm assuming that the George L could be stripped and soldered like any other cable. I like the slenderness of the GLS pancakes. Did you have to do anything to compensate for the narrower cable and the strain relief on the jack?

Georege L jacks are spendy!

cjkbug

I love g-l's they sound great. and work fine if made properly. and if one goes down you can fix it in about 15 seconds and no soldering iron. I used to have my rack setup wired with nothing but those and never had an issue. only had one board not work but it was right after wiring it up and it was totally my fault.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

bigmufffuzzwizz

I've still yet to try the George L cables. I've been going with Redco.com and ordering Mogami cable. Very inexpensive and I never have any complaints about tone loss. Though solderless cable would be freakin easy
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

Quote from: keysandguitars on August 28, 2011, 12:46:26 AM
Is the Lava mini cable very different from George L in terms of quality? I'm assuming that the George L could be stripped and soldered like any other cable. I like the slenderness of the GLS pancakes. Did you have to do anything to compensate for the narrower cable and the strain relief on the jack?

Georege L jacks are spendy!

I've not used the George Ls. All I was saying was that my experience with Lava Cables was good. My experience with the GLS jacks and plugs have been very good as well. No, the cable and plug work fine and there was no need for strain relief.

Yes, the solderless is pricey. That's why I prefer the soldered as well.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

keysandguitars

I'm going to order up some GLS jacks and see how the George L cable works with it. I'm in no rush at the moment. I got my big order from Mammoth, one from Small Bear and have to learn how to debug the Neutrino and the Pork Barrel. Plenty to do  ;)