News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

La Vache diodes

Started by shawnee, August 17, 2011, 09:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnee

Hello everyone, I build the La Vache and I really like it with the 330R changed to 100R. Nice drive! I didn't like the boost very much because it seemed to make it sound a little more "splatty" and the 100 ohm resisitor added enough gain with better tone in my opinion. I added a tone control and it worked but I will probably leave it off since I found myself always using the closest setting to not having a tone anyway. The shape setting that I like the best is the middle position where only the two 1N914's are in the circuit. It's really open sounding and louder to me. Anyway, has anyone tried different diodes there? I soldered them in and can take them out and socket but if they are the best choice, I will leave them soldered in. Thanks!

jtn191

I haven't done mine yet, but try a BAV99 for Z3, that's what the stock unit uses  ;)

Haberdasher

Can you get bav99 in a through hole component?  I looked around a while back and could only find surface mount.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jtn191

No, it seems not  :-\

But I looked up a datasheet for it and found out how the three pins on a BAV99 work: it's actually a diode pair.

I don't know exactly characteristic to look for for forward voltage--you could find similar diodes, or solder leads onto the pins so it'd work

Haberdasher

OK that's cool, I was just curious if you had a source.  I had read the lovepedal guy started using smds a while back so I can't say I'm surprised.

I'm sure you could figure out how to use a bav99 if you wanted but that's probably not for me.  I already have a non-working lavache here so I'm not going out on a limb with it anytime soon.  :-\
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS