Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking output

Started by ferrandinyo, February 23, 2012, 12:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferrandinyo

Hi everyone,
I have one rookie question.
In Sunking wiring diagram (last page) does no appear where I must connect the output jack sleeve.
Someone can help me?

Sorry for my bad English.

marmaliser

The standard wiring diagram assumes that the output jack sleeve connects via the metal enclosure to the other grounds.  You can just connect it to a spare ground pad or a ground on the switch

madbean

Welcome to the forum!

If you are using metal jacks, like the Neutrik, you only need to connect the sleeve of one jack to ground. The sleeve of the second jack connects to ground through the enclosure.

If you are using plastic enclosed jacks, you should ground the sleeves of both jacks. In that case, you use a wire to connect the sleeve of the output jack to the sleeve of the input jack.

ferrandinyo

Ok, thanks a lot. I'll try as soon as I have time.

I have neutrik jacks, so i will connect the sleeve to the enclosure. Is the only cable I have to connect to the enclosure?

TNblueshawk

You don't connect the sleeve to the enclosure per se. I only ground the input jack sleeve. On the output jack sleeve you have your two lugs. Only connect the tip lug per the wiring diagram. Leave the sleeve lug unconnected (as long as your input sleeve is grounded). The reason is the metal jack itself making contact with the metal enclosure grounds the pedal by itself. It is also important here that you tighten that jack down good or you will get an intermittent signal.

Assuming I understood you correctly, you have metal jacks, correct?
John

ferrandinyo

Correct, I have metal jacks.
So, if I understood, I only have to connect one of the sleeves lugs (the input jack or the output jack) to ground (the eclosure). Correct?

oldhousescott

Correct. If you're using a metal enclosure, it becomes the ground path for the jack without the dedicated sleeve connection. You do need to make sure the jack makes solid electrical contact with the enclosure, so scrape off any paint around the mounting hole inside the enclosure, or use star washers that will bite through the paint.

TNblueshawk

I've gotten to where I use star washers on the outside of the jacks too. I sort of like the look, but it really locks it down and it doesn't loosen up on me.
John