Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Photobucket and Imagehosts

Started by alanp, June 30, 2017, 08:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Quote from: davent on July 01, 2017, 01:09:45 AM
They come down on Avatars in their statement,

And why wouldn't they? What forum won't self-host the avatar? It's been a loooooong time since I joined a forum that didn't have room for 100x100 avatar images.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

alanp

I might have to look into getting my own domain to store this crap, like how Juan rolls.

I wonder if shittylittlepcbs.com is taken yet...
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

matmosphere

Quote from: alanp on July 01, 2017, 02:43:21 AM
I might have to look into getting my own domain to store this crap, like how Juan rolls.

I wonder if shittylittlepcbs.com is taken yet...

I've seen the boards you've made. They don't look shitty at all and they sure as hell aren't little.

alanp

You're only saying that cos you haven't been watching me try and troubleshoot my boards this weekend :D
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Quote from: Matmosphere on July 01, 2017, 12:57:17 AM
I think posting to  forum like this from imgur is fine. They actually provide links that you can copy and paste straight into forums from their site. Guess I could be wrong but that seems like an odd thing to offer if you don't want people posting to forums.

You're right! Did some more casting about and found it addressed at Imgur/community.

https://community.imgur.com/t/what-do-the-tos-mean-by-dont-use-imgur-to-host-image-libraries-you-link-to-from-elsewhere/21348

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

matmosphere

Much like the dvd cost increase that was supposed to save video stores companies have just waited too long to change prices so wildly.

nzCdog

Am I missing something?  My photos still work on this board, linked to photobucket...  Is it when you get over 2GB?

davent

Quote from: nzCdog on July 03, 2017, 12:41:56 AM
Am I missing something?  My photos still work on this board, linked to photobucket...  Is it when you get over 2GB?

On another forum as of yesterday i was only missing the odd one, haven't checked today. Here and at other guitar related forums i've been scrubbed from existence. I'm at 79% of 2G and my has 51% of her 2G and we're both toast.

I did see someone at yet another forum who hadn't been affected yet so i have no idea what's going on at Photobucket, i guess everything is normal there.

You didn't get the ransom email either?

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/photobucket-breaks-image-links-across-the-internet

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

nzCdog

Hmm... maybe the images I'm seeing are cached.  Ohwells, I really disliked photobucket anyway... so spammy.

lars

Photobucket is terrible. Whenever I'm browsing anything in Google images and click on the button to "view image", if it starts to open Photobucket, I immediately close the tab. Why should I have to go to a website to view an image, when all I want to see is the image BY ITSELF? I don't want their ads and links and browsing tools. Not even YouTube does that, in fact, I think Photobucket is the only site that forces you to view hosted images in their proprietary browser. If I wanted to "visit page", I would have clicked "visit page".
Use Postimage.org instead. It's been working great (and normal, and free) for years.